Cylinder Marking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
Should back mounted cylinders be marked in the same way that stage bottles are?

Page 100, para. 2 states that:

All bottles should be permanantly marked to reflect their maximum operating depth.....

With singles diving, I would imagine its possible to pick up the wrong tank before going over, thus making "singles" tank marking just as important as stage bottle marking.

Any ideas?

Dave

I think they are referring to stages or deco tanks. But for singles, if you are diving Triox or Nitrox you need to mark the content and max depth.

Eric

With the large MOD stickers? No. I normally have some sort of EAN in my back tanks, whether single or double, and I use fairly large (4x2 I think) white peeloffs that have the MOD and mix.

Phil

I stick a piece of duct tape on my back gas' shoulder area that has the date of mix and percent of mix writen with a Sharpie (small print) and then the MOD with a big, fat chisel point since that's the important number.

Roak

I take it you guys aren't using the large (and unbelievably gaudy) Nitrox stickers?

If not, do you have any difficulties getting nitrox fills with only VIP and mix/MOD markers?

roakey once bubbled...
I stick a piece of duct tape on my back gas' shoulder area that has the date of mix and percent of mix writen with a Sharpie (small print) and then the MOD with a big, fat chisel point since that's the important number.

Roak

Something like this?

11/27 32 %

metridium once bubbled...
If not, do you have any difficulties getting nitrox fills with only VIP and mix/MOD markers?
My Nitrox cylinders use PSI’s Nitrox VCI stickers, my one air cylinder uses PSI’s Air VCI sticker and my Argon bottle uses PSI’s “Neck Crack Inspection” sticker.

That’s what’s nice about PSI’s Nitrox VCI sticker, it does double duty. When a shop tries to sell you the big Nitrox wrap, ask them if they’ll GIVE you a new one every year when the cylinder is inspected, and they’ll give you one of these “Huh? Why would we remove it?” looks, which means they don’t know JS about doing cylinder inspections.

Had a great time in the last shop I got my Argon bottle filled. The conversation went something like this:

DSM: I can’t fill this, it doesn’t have a VIP sticker.

Me: It has a neck crack inspection sticker, which shows that it’s had a visual.

DSM: I’m sorry, it needs a VIP sticker, I can inspect it for you right now if you’d like!

Me: Could you show me the sticker you’ll put on the cylinder if it passes?

[DSM shows me an “air” VIP sticker]

Me: So, should I send the next-of-kin’s lawyer to you when someone dies breathing this cylinder because they thought air was in it because you insisted on putting an air sticker on it? That’s why there’s only a neck crack inspection sticker on it, to make sure an accident like that doesn’t happen.

I then got my fill, after another brief exchange explaining that the cylinder didn’t have to be O2 clean for Argon.

Roak

Ps. In addition, my Argon bottle has “ARGON” stenciled in big letters on two sides.

Roak,

It amazes me that in my area , the shop will not fill my tanks because of the PSI vips I have on them. Said they don't trust them, BUT if I let me VIP my doubles and argon bottle they would fill it. Yea right.

Eric

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Something like this?

11/27 32 %

Close, to be exact, it looks like this:

021127C 32.4%

I log all my mixes, and being a computer dweeb I want stuff to sort right so the above shows 2002, Novemver 27th, third cylinder that I introduced O2 into on that day (the "C"). I'm not enough of a dweeb to worry about the Y3K problem. :)

Also the % is the tested %.

Roak

Back
Top Bottom