Cyklon “Silent Diver?”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an interesting concept. Personally, I might try one out as a novelty if they were really inexpensive, or like in your case, happen to acquire it with some other regulators. Out of curiosity, is the leaking a safety hazard, or is it mostly just annoying and not working properly?

It is not a hazard, if one of the o-rings wear out it won't be quiet though.

True.
But the work I did for silencing the exhaust of Italian military scuba equipment cannot be divulgated on a public forum...
I am sorry!
Hower this silencer is very interesting. It would be nice to measure the noise reduction in dB obtained.
Any number available?

Yes I have a few available for Poseidon Cyklon regulators, send me a DM and let me know if you have the plastic or metal body version of the regulator (the dimensions are slightly different). They cost $55.39 for domestic (USA) shipping, $91.04 for international orders (that was the least expensive international shipping option I could find).

Yes I have a few available for Poseidon Cyklon regulators, send me a DM and let me know if you have the plastic or metal body version of the regulator (the dimensions are slightly different). They cost $55.39 for domestic (USA) shipping, $91.04 for international orders (that was the least expensive international shipping option I could find).

Although if you are willing/able/allowed to do some testing and provide some sort of quantified data on noise reduction I could send you one for free...

Well, currently I am not able to dive this summer due to some health problems, and I do not own anymore Poseidon regs (albeit I had one in the past, which I ditched when I switched to Scubapro MK5+109).
I was just curious on how many dB of attenuation this device can provide...

It's an interesting concept. Personally, I might try one out as a novelty if they were really inexpensive, or like in your case, happen to acquire it with some other regulators. Out of curiosity, is the leaking a safety hazard, or is it mostly just annoying and not working properly?

Well, currently I am not able to dive this summer due to some health problems, and I do not own anymore Poseidon regs (albeit I had one in the past, which I ditched when I switched to Scubapro MK5+109).
I was just curious on how many dB of attenuation this device can provide...

You and me both, my best estimate is that it is quieter to exhale through the silent diver than it is to inhale through a standard Poseidon Cyklon which is a pretty good (although anecdotal) metric. I could fabricate a version for a Scubapro MK5+109 but I would need to have a 2nd stage in hand for a period of time so I could properly prototype a new version for it...

You and me both, my best estimate is that it is quieter to exhale through the silent diver than it is to inhale through a standard Poseidon Cyklon which is a pretty good (although anecdotal) metric. I could fabricate a version for a Scubapro MK5+109 but I would need to have a 2nd stage in hand for a period of time so I could properly prototype a new version for it...
Do you need the 1st stage & 2nd stage, or just the 2nd stage to prototpe?

If you offered a deal, where the person would get a free Silent Diver in exchange for letting you borrow their 2nd stage for some period of time, I'm sure someone would go for it. I'd have to imagine a lot of people have spare 109s sitting around, based on how frequently I see them on ebay or even craigslist.

I only have an extra Scubapro G250 or G200, which I think are practically identical to eachother.

Do you need the 1st stage & 2nd stage, or just the 2nd stage to prototpe?

If you offered a deal, where the person would get a free Silent Diver in exchange for letting you borrow their 2nd stage for some period of time, I'm sure someone would go for it. I'd have to imagine a lot of people have spare 109s sitting around, based on how frequently I see them on ebay or even craigslist.

I only have an extra Scubapro G250 or G200, which I think are practically identical to eachother.

I would only need the 2nd stage for prototyping. The problem is (as I understand it) that most/many manufacturers change the "plastics" on their regulators annually so that they look cool and up-to-date. The problem with this approach (for me) is that I could design a silent diver for a Scubapro 109 (which @Luis H also mentioned is a common regulator) for 2021 and they (Scubapro) could/would likely modify the design slightly for cosmetic reasons which would (incidentally) render the brand silent diver new design obsolete for all new models (which rather disincentives me making new versions as I would never recoup the development costs of generating single-year-relevant prototypes).

So basically to be worth my (and everyone else's) time I need to design retrofits of the silent diver for regulators for which the 2nd stage does not change often (or at all) over the years but is also a relatively popular model.

A real catch 22 but I am all ears for suggestions...

Hi
Is your system similar to the "filter dome" on a FGT scr rebreather?

I would only need the 2nd stage for prototyping. The problem is (as I understand it) that most/many manufacturers change the "plastics" on their regulators annually so that they look cool and up-to-date. The problem with this approach (for me) is that I could design a silent diver for a Scubapro 109 (which @Luis H also mentioned is a common regulator) for 2021 and they (Scubapro) could/would likely modify the design slightly for cosmetic reasons which would (incidentally) render the brand silent diver new design obsolete for all new models (which rather disincentives me making new versions as I would never recoup the development costs of generating single-year-relevant prototypes).

So basically to be worth my (and everyone else's) time I need to design retrofits of the silent diver for regulators for which the 2nd stage does not change often (or at all) over the years but is also a relatively popular model.

A real catch 22 but I am all ears for suggestions...

I'm a little new to stuff like servicing my own regs, and differences over the years. What I would recommend is creating a post over in one of these subforums:

* Regulators
* Repairing your own Gear

And ask if the design or fitment has changed for any of the relevant parts over the years for various Scubapro models. There are some persons who hang out in those areas who are crazy knowledgable about all of the ins & outs and oddities of Scubapro regulators. They could probably figure out based on part-numbers as well, whether a certain shape of exhaust-valve cover is compatible with which models of Scubapro 2nd stage.

You might be able to figure some of that out yourself, but it would probably be easier with assistance & expertise from the people who service Scubapro regs quite frequently.
  • Go to: Home | Vintage Double Hose
  • Scroll to the very bottom & click "Manuals & Catalogues"
  • Navigate to the various brand/models/etc that you need.
They might even be able to tell you which models are the most popular, or would have the most compatibility across models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom