Cutting tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I often snorkel by myself, I ought to be carrying a dive tool shouldn't I? What's a good one? I think I'd rather have one strapped to my forearm as opposed to my leg. Suggestions?

Just caught this thread. Dont forget some shears also. They are $1 at some stores. Always have a redundant pair of cutting tools.

Not on arm...If you carry only one cutting device I would not suggest mounting it on either arm.
Lets say you mount it on your right arm and your left arm gets entangled. How will you reach the knife?
Put the cutting device where it can be reached by either hand....

Most of the time when I carry only one cutting tool it will be my shears.

I often just tuck them inside my wetsuit top. I can reach them with either hand and they will not catch on anything.

Thanks for the suggestions, I may go with the shears. The only reason I prefer not to have the knife on my leg is that my legs are impossibly long and while I am plenty flexable without scuba or snorkel gear on I'm not sure that I could reach it quickly if it were on my calf and I were already in a comprimising position.

Gidds:
Thanks for the suggestions, I may go with the shears. The only reason I prefer not to have the knife on my leg is that my legs are impossibly long and while I am plenty flexable without scuba or snorkel gear on I'm not sure that I could reach it quickly if it were on my calf and I were already in a comprimising position.

Gidds, how about mounting it on a weight belt, even if you don't snorkel with weight? The shears that I carry came with a loop that will slide right on a belt.

I snorkel with a weight belt because I always wear 7mm. The thing is my belt is a soft weight belt, would that still work?

I use SS EMT shears in a pouch mounted on my harness. A bit of advice from experience though, make sure that not only the blades of the shears are SS but also the brad that holds them together. Right now I have SS shears with a non-SS brad and I get rust all over the place from it. It comes right off but it's still a pain..... Diveriteexpress.com has nice shears.

Gidds:
I snorkel with a weight belt because I always wear 7mm. The thing is my belt is a soft weight belt, would that still work?

It would depend on the belt. The sheath that I have for mine could easily be modified. I agree with Mstudley, make sure they are all SS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom