Cutting the Cord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As battery systems improve- the use of non-cord systems will become more common and the parity will be such that for non exploration dives the considerations will be negligible.

Any "potential" entanglements created by a can light are outweighed by longevity and brightness now- but the convenience, light weight, swappable battery compartments , non entanglement features of more modern non-cord lights make them an attractive alternative in a given price range.

If you aren't doing 4 hour cave or wreck dives an 8 hour burn time isn't a necessity (most such dives are likely 1-2 hours) - so cost factors in.
As batteries improve, so will light output..... increasing demand for battery capacity.

Kev, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that id do that with you. Sry m8.
Sorry Mate as well . . . I would've covered the trip for you, Litehedded, and Vic. So y'all could have shown me how to lead & lay line in a Truk wreck with a conventional corded canister light. . . :-D [NOT!]

Last edited:
Sorry Mate as well . . . I would covered the trip for you, Litehedded, and Vic. So y'all could have shown me how to lead & lay line in a Truk wreck with a conventional corded canister light. . . :-D
uhhhhh he doesn't speak for me
i'm in if you're payin' :)

I'd just have to respond to Tony's list by saying that the Brightstar HID bulbs (which are all anybody uses any more) aren't very fragile at all. I take virtually no care with my light, and I've never had a bulb damaged.

I'd just have to respond to Tony's list by saying that the Brightstar HID bulbs (which are all anybody uses any more) aren't very fragile at all. I take virtually no care with my light, and I've never had a bulb damaged.
I've only ever seen the old style bulbs break as well. Modern hids aren't fragile

Likewise with modern HID bulbs. They are the same as the ones used for auto headlamps. I've dropped a couple of mine onto gravel and asphalt with no problems.

When I'm using one of my handheld backup lights, I clip it into my compass bungee mount. No worries about dropping it then.

As batteries improve, so will light output..... increasing demand for battery capacity.

I would think the demand for battery capacity would be dependent on run time (dive time) and current draw (brightness). As LED technology improves hopefully efficiency will increase reducing current draw. As battery technology improves hopefully bulk will also be decreased. Another consideration is packaging. For example, could a handle be designed incorporating the batteries?

I think divers are becoming jaded with lights. I watched the DIR 3 video Dan posted and was amazed at how large George's canister was. We have come a long way since the days of halogen test tube lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom