Cutting dyneema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you recommend me a tool that cuts through 12mm / 0.45" of dyneema rope under water?

no... I'm a textile engineer, dyneema is not designed to be cut. Smaller sections can be gone through with something like a trilobyte or a benchmade Z knife, but 12mm rope is too thick for that. You'd be sawing through it at best. Why would you need to cut rope that thick? Very difficult to get caught up in...

dyneema is not designed to be cut

That, indeed, became apparent. Hard physical labour and the result wasn't much more than a little blunter knife. I finally managed to rip the rope apart with wire cutters. It wasn't elegant.

Why would you need to cut rope that thick? Very difficult to get caught up in...

Some talented sailors however, manage to get it into the prop.

ahh. yeah for stuff like that sharp trauma shears are your friend. I thought you meant for a personal cutting tool. Dyneema is specifically used in applications where cut resistance is required. Takes some experimentation, but you can also usually cut it with an exacto type knife, but both will be dull beyond use afterwards. The hose cutters above won't work because the dyneema fibers will just find up in there. Sawing motion combined with scissor motion is required to cut this stuff

Spinning the tool so that the blade cuts in,
or spinning the tool like a lever around the prop axis?

We would cut all sorts of annoying stuff including heavy gauge fine copper braid conductor covered by teflon. You have to tension the line then rotate the tool 90 degrees to the line (as it has to be) while your ever more educated grip increases the pressure as you rotate the tool around the line. It is quite natural, best if you just try it. You get both a scissors action (your grip) and sawing (the rotation). Worth a shot, cheap enough...

Sharp trauma shears, or a sharp razor blade type knife if you can hold the line against something like a table. Dyneema, and really any UHMWPE or LCP type fiber is specifically designed for its abrasion resistance. The most annoying part of splicing a core-dependent rope out of something like dyneema or vectran is tapering the tail since it's such a bitch to cut....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom