• Knife

Votes: 99 75.0%
  • Scissors

Votes: 64 48.5%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 13 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just use a sharp knife attached to my BC, at least for now. I've considered getting a blunt tip, along with a pear of EMT shears. Never know when you're going to need them.

The sharp knife works fine for me now. It's perfect for prodding unsuspecting marine life and manatees on Crystal River........

....okay, just kidding about the prodding part.

:whack:

as the regular sea snips with the center
that rusts like hell ( replace it with a SS
nut/bolt )

you're not selling those are you??

Kell

OMS Shears :)
DiveRite Small Z knife :)

EMS Shears on bungee in left drysuit pocket, 2” serrated on left waste strap, 3” no frills sharp as hell knife on right drysuit pocket sheath. I use the no frills knife all the time surface and below. I tend to forget about the EMS shears even though they would probably work better than the knife.

I like the PVC sheath idea, I’ll give it a shot.

When it came to cutting devices I used to wonder WWMND
(what would Mike Nelson Do?) now it depends on the goal
Machette, bolt cutters, prima cord or C-4 or Thermo-neuclear device............

I'm, into the medical Shears.

Julie

I carry an older scubapro knife on my belt and a diverite z-knife on my harness.

Another thing to consider is that commercial fishing outfits are going to kevlar and other high tech lines for fishing gear. kevlar lines and nets currently seem to be used widly.

These are hard to cut, spectra (which isnt used yet i think) is VERY hard to cut with any sissors but a knife works if sawed through. Kevlar cloth (for laminating with epoxy or bullet proof vests and related to kevlar fishing line) will destroy a set of emt shears, or heavy sissors in inches. It is well beyond the abilities of the z-knife.

I am considering adding some shears to my kit. OMS makes some that look good (i think they are hinkel).

The proper cutting tool depends on what you want to cut/do with the tool. baed on my experience...

1) clean fish best a fish cleaner tool and thin blade knife. A dive knife (particularlly with serations on the back) makes a good second choice.

2) spreading stuff on bread at lunch time, a kitchen knife works well,as does a spoon. In a pinch a dive knife works.

3) cutting nylon, polypro, cotton fishing/other line, sissors or a knife, the line hook on some knives works well.

4) cutting steel leader (this is used for commercial fishing for sharks and other toothy fish), shears (emt shears are fine). a knife is a poor second place. the line hook is of little use.

5) Kevlar line. I have limited experience with kevlar line, i have used kevlar yarn (cloth) and webbing (climing loops). Use a knife with a sawing action. Sissors may work for a bit.

6) spectra line. I have not actually dealt with specta line, my expereience is with spectra yarn (as in cloth) and flat webbing. Use a knife with a sawing action. Sissors are useless. common household sissors will not cut webbing ever. heavy special sisors with seramic cutting edges work though.

7) Steel cable, chain etc. Use a cutting tourch, hydralic , pnumatic or explosive cutters. Sissors and knives are useless...

scuberd:
I was just wondering what people use for cutting devices under water, personally I take a knife and a pair of scissors, I'm taking no chances around this kelp

I use a small BC knife (from Tusa) and a pair of shears.

Ari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom