Customs Says "NO EXTENSION!" - They Want Your Pocket Knives NOW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't try to take that piece of junk from you, rather I'd give you a real folder: a Fallkniven U2. It is not big or intimidating, nor does it scream KILL, but it is an effective pocket knife that holds an edge well, is easy to sharpen, well built with minimal parts, and durable.

:rofl3: it looks mean, and is really god for prying and other assorted things that its not designed for :D

:rofl3: it looks mean, and is really god for prying and other assorted things that its not designed for :D

Ah, so you too are a real knife user testing your tool to its outer most yet unintended limits. Then carry on; strong work! :D

Ah, so you too are a real knife user testing your tool to its outer most yet unintended limits. Then carry on; strong work! :D

And in this instance, I am strictly referring to the knife as your tool. I will never comment on your other tools you might want to comment on.

I have heard you are able to easily jimmy doors with the applegate . . .

Another government intrusion where there does not need to be one. ANd the laws are all bs concerning knives anyway. Even if I did carry a switchblade what good is it against the gangbangers carrying guns that they refuse to keep in prison or execute? I see nothing wrong with any bladed weapon being carried anywhere anytime by law abiding people. Bunch a pansy asses out there. I carried a buck folding hunter in a sheath on my belt from junior high on every day. Even in school. This was a rural area and every kid I hung out with carried a knife of some kind all the time. Now thanks to the sissy yuppie pukes and their so called zero tolerance a plastic axe in a halloween costume gets a little boy in kindergarten suspended. We are turning into a nation of lilly livered cowards thanks to these wimps.

I have heard you are able to easily jimmy doors with the applegate . . .

Where's the best place to get one?

... I carry a Spyderco and contrary to what the quoted article states just having a hole in the blade or a tab on the blade will not make it illegal for importation.
Thanks for bringing your direct knowledge to the thread. I don't follow the connection between importation and interstate transport - and you say Customs has no direct role in interceding in interstate transport, if I understand correctly - but I'm more interested in the one-handed lock-back knives. The revocation letters mentioned several times that knives where a flick of the wrist will open and lock the blade, once the blade has been moved out of the closed position a small amount, as via the tab or hole common on many of these knives, are now being called switchblades by Customs. These knives are specifically identified as legal in California - if there is any resistance to opening that must be overcome in moving the blade slightly from its closed position - to distinguish them from illegal gravity/inertia knives. This provides a clear and crucial test for distinguishing legal from illegal knives. I expect that at least some of the opening motion of any lockback knife can be completed by flicking the wrist, once the blade is opened far enough - where that point is varies considerably by model. But those revocation letters appear to open the door for re-defining any lockback knife as a switchblade.

Thanks for bringing your direct knowledge to the thread. I don't follow the connection between importation and interstate transport - and you say Customs has no direct role in interceding in interstate transport, if I understand correctly - but I'm more interested in the one-handed lock-back knives. The revocation letters mentioned several times that knives where a flick of the wrist will open and lock the blade, once the blade has been moved out of the closed position a small amount, as via the tab or hole common on many of these knives, are now being called switchblades by Customs. These knives are specifically identified as legal in California - if there is any resistance to opening that must be overcome in moving the blade slightly from its closed position - to distinguish them from illegal gravity/inertia knives. This provides a clear and crucial test for distinguishing legal from illegal knives. I expect that at least some of the opening motion of any lockback knife can be completed by flicking the wrist, once the blade is opened far enough - where that point is varies considerably by model. But those revocation letters appear to open the door for re-defining any lockback knife as a switchblade.

When Customs puts forward their intent to change or modify an import requirement it is done in response to various ÅÐutside influence. By this I mean the trade community, political influence or congressional direction. We (Customs) really donÃÕ give a ratÃÔ butt what actually is imported into the United States all we do is enforce the law as it is stated in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs) and the United States Codes (USCs). Additionally, Officers dealing with non-commercial importations have a lot of latitude in the interpretation of the law on many things. Any knife can be worked until it will open with the flick of a wrist, but that does not make it a switch blade. I would hope most of the CBP Officers would understand that and not take an individuals pocket knife just for that. BUT, just like any job, we have anal retentive offices that see only black and white and donÃÕ realize the world is a thousand shades of grey. I donÃÕ know who is ram-rodding this change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom