Customs Says "NO EXTENSION!" - They Want Your Pocket Knives NOW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim C

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Attachments

• banbanner.jpg
    banbanner.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 74
How\Why is Customs relevant\apply to interstate commerce....? Would think their powers are solely limited to items crossing borders...?

The youtube video link in the original post explains it.

Basically if they manage to ban the import of it, then you wouldnt be able to cross borders even state to state either, for example hunters.

Came across this while looking for a knife for fathers day. I've spent some time reading this, it is not just a forwarded message. A snail mail letter needs to be recv'd before next Sat 6/20/09
Here we are worrying about our guns and they slip this in on us real quick.
Jim C

This first link has letter formats to send.
American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI) Keeping Knives in American Lives
Knife Rights - Home
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=4972

Let me address a few misconceptions on this subject and try and put it in perspective. CBPs major concerns are for commercial importations. What is a switch blade? The article is right when it states a spring loaded blade that is extracted from its handle by use of a spring or other device. Many states have expanded that definition to include the use of centrifugal force or gravity. As you will notice this places butterfly knives in the category of switch blades. CBP does not concern itself with interstate commerce inside the US; actually we (CBP) do not have any authority to regulate interstate commerce. We are concerned with shipments from outside the US. I will tell you that CBPs intent is not to take ŽÅLL pocket knives from you as the article states; we actually dont really give a damn if you have a knife or not as long as when youre coming into the country you tell us if you are selected for inspection. Try to understand our point of view, your checking a car or boat or luggage and some guy behind you pulls a buck knife out of the case on his belt. In Texas butterfly knives are considered switch blades, but that is state law not federal so if CBP takes your butterfly knife its on a reciprocal agreement between the State and CBP to enforce State law. If you protest most of the time (at least at my Port) we will not argue but will contact the State Law Enforcement and let them handle it. This usually takes a much longer time and delay with the same result of you losing the knife. I will ask this question, why do you need a switch blade knife? If a person has one arm or a disability that only allows them one arm then they are legally allowed to have a switch blade, but if you have two arms why not just carry a regular knife? I have carried a pocket knife since I was 8 and both my boys received their knife on their 8th birthdays. I carry a Spyderco and contrary to what the quoted article states just having a hole in the blade or a tab on the blade will not make it illegal for importation.
If anyone has any questions about Customs please drop me a line, I have over 21 years with Customs and many times what is passed on as gospel is slightly less than that.

Looked like a cheap advertisement to me. I've used a knife for a lot of things in my life but still haven't had need to have a spring loaded one. Maybe my day will come.

I carry a Applegate Combat Folder, while in uniform and out of uniform.

try and take away my military issued knife. . .

Looked like a cheap advertisement to me. I've used a knife for a lot of things in my life but still haven't had need to have a spring loaded one. Maybe my day will come.

ANY folder with a lock blade will fall under the new rule, spring loaded or not!
Since non-locking blades are considered unsafe by existing OSHA rules this pretty much rules out portable knives. Read the proposed rule yourself! This simply "redefines" a whole NEW spectrum of blades to fall under the "switchblade" provisions in federal law, and by extension this will apply to the carry rules of most states since many of them reference the customs regulations.

http://www.kniferights.org/U S Customs Proposed Ruling - Assisted Opening Knives.pdf

I carry a Applegate Combat Folder, while in uniform and out of uniform.

try and take away my military issued knife. . .

I wouldn't try to take that piece of junk from you, rather I'd give you a real folder: a Fallkniven U2. It is not big or intimidating, nor does it scream KILL (as if the ACF did?), but it is an effective pocket knife that holds an edge well, is easy to sharpen, well built with minimal parts, and durable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom