customs question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've checked the Aduanas page, and each time I simply confuse myself more.

I know the import ceiling is at $500 when arriving by plane, and the tax is 16%.

If I'm bringing in $600 worth of goods, do I pay 16% of $100 (my $600 minus the cap of $500), or 16% on the total $600? Anyone know for certain? I'm trying to figure out how much cash I need to bring. Don't want to use a credit card as that will add an additional 3%. Sheesh!

Thanks!!

Ummm... Isn't there a difference between 'cash' and 'goods' ?? I think so.

I always travel with more than $500 in cash and have never paid any fees or taxes.

One tip, buy your pesos at a bank in the USA before you leave. Good exchange rate and no need to search out some place to exchange them in Cozumel.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 07:34 PM ----------

Oh.. maybe I misunderstood. You're bringing more than $500 worth of goods and planning to pay the taxes. You're trying to figure out how much cash to bring to pay the tax. Sorry it was confusing me the way you wrote it :).

Are they commercial goods that you are importing? If not... no tax.

Ummm... Isn't there a difference between 'cash' and 'goods' ?? I think so.

I always travel with more than $500 in cash and have never paid any fees or taxes.

One tip, buy your pesos at a bank in the USA before you leave. Good exchange rate and no need to search out some place to exchange them in Cozumel.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 07:34 PM ----------

Oh.. maybe I misunderstood. You're bringing more than $500 worth of goods and planning to pay the taxes. You're trying to figure out how much cash to bring to pay the tax. Sorry it was confusing me the way you wrote it :).

Are they commercial goods that you are importing? If not... no tax.

Terrible advice.
Keep your dollars in your bank, and withdraw from an ATM in a bank or bank foyer.

You should only pay the amount above the $500 that duty free. But you never know in Mexico.
Also if you are traveling with someone they get $500 too.
You should also be able to find a list of stuff that is not counted against ( free to bring in ) the $500. like camera, computer and sporting goods that you are going to use and if they are new take them out of the box they came in so they do not look new.

I've checked the Aduanas page, and each time I simply confuse myself more.

I know the import ceiling is at $500 when arriving by plane, and the tax is 16%.

If I'm bringing in $600 worth of goods, do I pay 16% of $100 (my $600 minus the cap of $500), or 16% on the total $600? Anyone know for certain? I'm trying to figure out how much cash I need to bring. Don't want to use a credit card as that will add an additional 3%. Sheesh!

Thanks!!

Depends on what you are bringing and why as to whether it is subject to duty. Anything for your personal use while on your trip is not subject to duty in almost all cases.

If you are bringing items for other people, again it depends. If you are bring clothes, shoes and things for personal use by others - I would not be concerned and I wouldn't even declare - those items are not subject to duty. Electronics in excess of your personal property, household appliances, excessive scuba equipment, etc. or anything that will be used commercially - then you would need to declare and be liable for duty on the amount exceeding your exemption of $500usd

The only time I got nailed was when I brought some parts for an outboard lower end last summer. I had some gears seals and bearings and when asked I declared them at $300 US, I thought that would be within the the standard exception. I ended up paying 16% on the entire value of $300. What they informed me of was that the exception values were only on certain items but on other non except items the duty is on the entire value.

Yea. I brought a wash down pump through Cancun. As soon as they saw it was for a boat, they said I had to pay duty on it. The guy told me anything for a boat pays. He said if I brought a car GPS it was fine, if it was a marine GPS, I would have to pay duty.

It can be confusing, but a rule of thumb is that if you're not bringing in things for resale or bringing in lots of stuff for friends so they can avoid buying locally or ordering online and paying duty you'll probably be OK. As Christi notes, if you're entering as a tourist your personal effects shouldn't be a problem no matter what their total value might be.

If you are traveling with a lot of goods, just have a good (and honest) reason for that. I once entered with 3 computers, a bunch of cameras, a fancy superautomatic cappuccino machine, and other stuff and just had to explain why. I've never been asked to pay duty on anything.

There's also usually a period around Christmas during which the personal allowance is much higher.

Terrible advice.
Keep your dollars in your bank, and withdraw from an ATM in a bank or bank foyer.

While I appreciate and understand your comment, I could have done without the 'Terrible Advice' snarky retort.

I don't know where the banks are located. I don't know if the foyer is open or locked, and when. I don't know if the ATM will be in English or Spanish. I don't know which ATMs to trust and which will steal my identity.

I arrive with Pesos in my pocket that I got at an excellent exchange rate back home. I don't have to make an extra trip to the bank. I don't have to worry. I just start my vacation.

It may not be what you prefer to do, but it works great for me. I wish someone had told me before my first trip to Mexico.

You can also Xoom yourself money. Send it to cash pickup at Electra and walk in with your passport and the transaction 4.99 a send and not bad on the exchange rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom