customizing wetsuit hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
Now that the weather is colder, I've had to wear a hood. Unfortunately, the bib has quite a bit of material and I need to fold it over to get it to lie flat. This still allows water to get in and cold water rushs down my back!

Am I doing this wrong? I tuck the bib under my wetsuit.

What I'm thinking is to customize the hood by cutting the bib, and sewing it back together. I think this should help, but I'm not sure. Anyone with experience with this?

Is it too big around your neck or too long going into your suit? If its too big around your neck I wouldnt bother trying to rip-n-sew to fit. If its too long going down just trim it away an inch or so at a time till its the right length.

If the whole hood is a little too big maybe try buyind a hooded fleece lined skin to wear underneath. They really do a gret job keeping the water transfer down and keep you pretty warm once you get out. Dont get one out of a catalog though...go to a dive shop and try it on. I take an extra large wet suit but found that the properly fitted skin I needed was the large. They fit snug but stretch alot. I tried the XL skin and it was loose and gaping around my head.

If you do rip-n-sew it make sure you use %100 nylon or %100 poly sewing thread and not cotton or cotton blend. Cotton will rot. Seal the seam with Aqua Seal.

Thanks! Good point about using nylon thread.

The fit is fine around the head and neck. What I'm concerned about is the bib. When I put on the hood, the bib doesn't lie flat in the back, so I have to fold the fabric over. I'm reluctant to trim away the fabric as I'd like to keep sort of seal between my wetsuit and hood.

I think what is happening is that a seal isn't developing between my wetsuit and hood. I'm not expecting watertight, but something that limits the water movement would be ideal.

I'm not a terrific DIYer, but this cold water is driving me nuts!

HanTzu

HanTzu,

If you have a farmer john, put the bib on the outside of it, between it and the jacket. Otherwise if the bib isn't laying flat I think you're right - you need to remove a wedge of material. Also, you could try having your buddy tuck the hood flat on your back and putting the fold up on the shoulders where it should get squished down more tightly.

Some people have a trough at the spine of their back. I knew one guy who sewed a long strip of extra material inside to help eliminate the space.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom