Custom Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is my understanding that Wetwear offers 2 different kinds of neoprene. Super stretchy, and the kind that is very compression resistant. All the posts would be a lot more useful if they specified which kind they're talking about.

Mine is the nitrogen cell neoprene. But if I were diving in water under 78 degrees consistently I would start at 5mm at least.

The suit has held up well over 3 years and I have no problem with it. But I dive tropical and age finally forced me off the old polartec. When getting into colder dives where upwelling exists I'll put on a thick hood and another layer over the torso and that seems to work fine. But I am not doing that 4 times a day for a week straight and warming up during the surface interval is not a problem. Normally I dive multiple dives in 79 or warmer.

Last edited:
Wetwear's website says they only use Nitrogen Cell Neoprene. That has more to do with warmth than compression. Suits can be 100% neoprene or a neoprene butyl blend. The latter is more stretchy and more prone to compression. Both have interior sponge cells that are typically filled with nitrogen, providing insulation.

I'd take claims of any special properties of any brand of neoprene or wetsuit with a big grain of salt.

Wetwear's website says they only use Nitrogen Cell Neoprene.

This page lists pricing for suits with "Soft Stretch" neoprene and for suits with "Nitrogen Neoprene"....

Sport Divers – Wetwear Custom Wetsuits

And says:

The EZ-ON Jumpsuit is available soft-stretch neoprene for the entry level and casual diver or compression resistant nitrogen composed neoprene for the active diver.

Seems like most of the posters ordered 3 mil suits from Wetwear. It is not surprising that a thin suit would be flexible, but 7 mil is different.
Suits that are easy to get on and off are just not going to restrict water flow enough to stay warm on long dives when the temps are 60 degrees or less. Wherever there is a zipper, you are going to have some water intrusion.

I have a custom M&B 7 mil farmer john, attached hood, skin-in suit. The raw neoprene on the inside makes it a bear to get in and out of, but that, plus a front zipper that doesn't start until the upper abdomen, makes it a very warm suit. I've been comfortable in 48 degree water.

A 3 mill with lots of long zippers is going to let in more water, but that is probably an acceptable trade off in warm water. It isn't in cold water.
the wetwear arm and leg zippers do not leak. there is a waterproof membrane sown in place behind the zipper between the 2 sides of the zipper. any water getting through the zipper will not penetrate the inside of the suit.

when the zipper is unzipped the membrane allows a limited amount of expansion (about 3 inches ish?). the cuffs of the arrm or leg are still connected when unzipped, just bigger in circumference. this system is similar to the expandable tongue found in waterproof boots.

QUOTE="stuartv, post: 7952065, member: 453371"]This page lists pricing for suits with "Soft Stretch" neoprene and for suits with "Nitrogen Neoprene"....

And says:[/QUOTE]
Under the "Neoprene" tab they state "Why we only use NItrogen Cell Neoprene." At the end of the first paragraph they state, "...we won't use anything else."

QUOTE="stuartv, post: 7952065, member: 453371"]This page lists pricing for suits with "Soft Stretch" neoprene and for suits with "Nitrogen Neoprene"....

And says:
Under the "Neoprene" tab they state "Why we only use NItrogen Cell Neoprene." At the end of the first paragraph they state, "...we won't use anything else."[/QUOTE]

I know. Maybe the Soft Stretch and the Nitrogen Neoprene are both "nitrogen cell". I don't know. Regardless, my earlier point remains: When people talk about their experience with WetWear, it would be a lot more useful if they specified which kind of neoprene they were talking about.

Under the "Neoprene" tab they state "Why we only use NItrogen Cell Neoprene." At the end of the first paragraph they state, "...we won't use anything else."

I know. Maybe the Soft Stretch and the Nitrogen Neoprene are both "nitrogen cell". I don't know. Regardless, my earlier point remains: When people talk about their experience with WetWear, it would be a lot more useful if they specified which kind of neoprene they were talking about.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I am not sure they know. Since wetsuits have closed gas cells in the center, and those cells have to be filled with something, Soft Stretch and Nitrogen Neoprene are probably both, as you suggest, nitrogen cell.

It is really a lot of marketing labels that customers get when they buy wetsuits regardless of the source, which is why I said earlier I'd take all this stuff with a grain of salt.

the wetwear arm and leg zippers do not leak. there is a waterproof membrane sown in place behind the zipper between the 2 sides of the zipper. any water getting through the zipper will not penetrate the inside of the suit.

when the zipper is unzipped the membrane allows a limited amount of expansion (about 3 inches ish?). the cuffs of the arrm or leg are still connected when unzipped, just bigger in circumference. this system is similar to the expandable tongue found in waterproof boots.

When you cut away 7 mil of neoprene and replace it with a much thinner expandable tongue, you've degraded the suit to some degree and added cost to its construction. In addition to less insulation along the zipper line, you've cut a break in the neoprene seal at the ankle and wrist. Any custom wetsuit maker can install zippers if you ask, but there is probably a reason why the majority do not promote long zippers.

According to the person at Wetwear I spoke with the stretch neoprene is non-nitrogen and is intended for surface sports. If you order a wetsuit for diving they will make it from the nitrogen cell material. Their website is confusing on this point which is why I called them for clarification. The stretch neoprene is the imported neoprene.

I can't speak to a thicker 5 or 7 mm suit from them but I do know that the custom fit prevents cold spots under the suit and I don't ever detect leaks around the zipper areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom