Custom Wetsuit for Cold Natured Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadeus00

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife thinks it's cold diving in Cozumel in 86F while wearing a 3/2mm and a hood. She is very cold natured. She starts out ok but get chilled by the end of the dive. She's worn an additional 3mm shorty and she was finally warm.

I want to get her a thicker suit but don't know if I should look for 5mm or 7mm. Would a 5mm with lining be a good staring point. We could always add the shorty if need be.

We are tropical divers only and I can't imagine getting her in water below 70F. I also want to look into custom suit to get the perfect fit for her. I would spend the extra $$ as long as she is comfortable.

Suggestions of brands and/or websites?

Maybe look at a Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene suit in a 5mil? Other than that, DUI makes a warm water drysuit (the 30/30 or something like that). That's probably overkill, but if she gets that cold (shrug)

I would say a 5 mm should be fine, maybe get a hood as well incase she still gets cold in the 5 mm. Unless she is very hard to fit, I wouldn't see why she would need a custom wetsuit though. Is she really tall, really short, or very heavy? I'm somewhat short (5'4) 125 lbs and my "dimentions" are a bit off (top heavy...) and I found the Henderson Thermoprene fits just fine. It's far more elastic that normal neoprene wetsuits, but not as elasticy as the hyperflex (which I have heard tear more easily). Unless someone is some extreme of body shape, it just seems like custom wetsuits are a waste of money...custom drysuits however, are another story.

There is Otter Bay Suits out of Montery, CA at Otterbaysuits.com Homepage . They specialize in custom wet suits of varying thicknesses. I bought a customized hood from them, because I have a double chin & normally can not find an "off the shelf" hood that doesn't feel like it's choking me. You get a wide variety of colors, thicknesses & designs, all at a fairly reasonable price for a custom. They are more than willing to work with you on sizing & will send you a video on how to get the right measurements.

Hi!

I was diving Monterey on the weekends for awhile and I have absolutely no circulation what-so-ever! I froze because the water temp was usually around 54-56 degrees. Hubby looked around for some solution because he was deathly afraid he would have to buy me a drysuit to keep me diving and did not want to go that route. I wore a Henderson's 7mm 2-piece to begin with so I had a full 14 mm at my core (good start) but what finally tipped the scale over to being just warm enough to continue was that he bought me a Mysterioso (:: Mysterioso :: The Original Rated SPF Body & Board Wear) top and bottom, the type worn by surfers? I guess. Now only my hands get cold and tingly if it's too cold on the dive.

Fuzz

Thanks for all the feedbacks. She doesn't have an unusual figure. She's 5'6" 130lbs with proportional figure.

I'd also recommend a Pinnacle Elastiprene. In my experience, that suit is as warm as most other suits a grade thicker (3mm as warm as another suit in 5mm), it's pretty stretchy and good quality. They've got a size chart on their web site too ( Pinnacle Aquatics) .
I've got one of their 3mm suits, but have only worn it once or twice - it's too warm for my usual diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom