Custom vs. Henderson Wetsuits??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been waiting to get my own wetsuit as I have been trying to get a couple of pounds 'off'. I have decided that I am now going to put out the money to buy my own verses renting. I am going to buy a 7mm wetsuit. I have heard really good things about getting custom wetsuits and also about the Henderson super-stretch. Any thoughts on one way verses the other??

A couple of side notes:
1. I am 5'4"
2. I wear a women's size 12 7mm wetsuit now
3. I am hoping to still loose a few more pounds but don't know how feasible that is as it seems that my body has decided it likes where it is at no matter how hard I try...

Thanks!!!

Ann Marie:
I have been waiting to get my own wetsuit as I have been trying to get a couple of pounds 'off'. I have decided that I am now going to put out the money to buy my own verses renting. I am going to buy a 7mm wetsuit. I have heard really good things about getting custom wetsuits and also about the Henderson super-stretch. Any thoughts on one way verses the other??

A couple of side notes:
1. I am 5'4"
2. I wear a women's size 12 7mm wetsuit now
3. I am hoping to still loose a few more pounds but don't know how feasible that is as it seems that my body has decided it likes where it is at no matter how hard I try...

Thanks!!!

Ann,

A few comments, first. A custom wetsuit will always fit better than a rack/rental suit.

Second, there are a few reasonable priced wetsuit seamstresses in Southern CA. One is in San Diego, that being Sea Me Repairs (Karen). In North Orange County, contact Sea Ventures Dive shop in Fullerton, they work closely with New Wave Wetsuits.

I can personally attest to both shops, being New Wave will not charge for alterations once you purchase a suit from her. Karen in San Diego does all the repairs for Sea World and works on my Drysuit. She does wonders on the drysuits as well.

Don

Also, in the San Diego area. Go to Ocean Enterprises (on Balboa) and ask for the guy that does the custom wetsuits. They can get custom made wetsuits by jmj-wetsuits. These are high quality, very warm suits. The price is also reasonable for a custom suit. It has worked very well for me. It will be more durable than the Hyperstretch suit.

I noticed you are in Mission Viejo -- it may be just as easy for you to contact JMJ directly. They are in Torrance, in the L.A. area. Here is the website: http://www.jmjwetsuits.com/

Good luck!

When ordering a custom suit I would make absolutely certain that I understood the policy regarding what happens if the suit doesn't fit properly. I know of one customer of a large, popular wetsuit mfgr that has sent his back four times now due to it not fitting (by several inches). The custom suit fit much worse than an off the shelf rental. He's been re-measured each time, by different people, and the measurements have come out about the same each time.

This can be very frustrating and tie up the customers money.

scuba91709:
Ann,

A few comments, first. A custom wetsuit will always fit better than a rack/rental suit.

Second, there are a few reasonable priced wetsuit seamstresses in Southern CA. One is in San Diego, that being Sea Me Repairs (Karen). In North Orange County, contact Sea Ventures Dive shop in Fullerton, they work closely with New Wave Wetsuits.

I can personally attest to both shops, being New Wave will not charge for alterations once you purchase a suit from her. Karen in San Diego does all the repairs for Sea World and works on my Drysuit. She does wonders on the drysuits as well.

Don
You can call New Wave in Fullerton directly. They made custom suits for my daughters (ages 10 and 13) for less than a rack suit costs, and will alter them as they grow. I can't say enough good things about them, and have referred everyone I know to them. If you can't find the phone number, PM me for it.

A few years back I was driving along Beach Blvd and happened onto a dive/surf shop that was having an end of year sale on coral reef wetsuits. I bought a 7 mm off the rack at sale price and the shop owner had a guy from the coral reef factory that is about 2 blocks away come in and tailor the suit for me for NO additional money. The tailor took nine measurements along my legs and six on my arms. I dont remember how many along my torso. They tailored the suit and shipped it to me FEDEX and it fit like a tailor made wetsuit. Needless to say, I have been impressed with it. Wish I could remember the name of the shop....but its not too far and coral reef wetsuits should be in the yellow pages.
Oh yeah, its titanium lined as well.

GOod Luck

Aloha All you Divers out there Tony here from Coral Reef, If you want the best Wetsuit fit on the planet than you want an Americamn Made Coral Reef Wetsuit, we have our Factory right on site for any repair need you have, we repair all wetsuit brands and have 30 years exsperance in the field, we build our own specilty designed sewing machines for neoprene as well, so if you have a wetsuit concern give us a call, we can help you with any and all wetsuit related questions, our motto is "WE BUILD THE BEST AND REPAIR THE REST" ask for Tony or Shane 714 894 3483 CLOSED MONDAYS.Mahalo Tony.

My weight fluxuates throughout the year. I have a closet full of clothes in several sizes. I alway buy off the shelf Hendersons. Because of the tretch, the same size always fits me unlike my clothes : )
At the beginning of last summer I bought a Henderson 3m H2. I probably put close to 100 dives on it before it started getting cold. It still looks brand new without even a single snag.

Henderson makes great wetsuit. The hyperstetch is really nice. Also before jumping into a custom suit maybe take a look at the bare line up they offer a lot of sizes and in between sizes that others do not offer and they also make great wetsuits.

If your diving local chances are your in colder waters maybe also consider instead of a custom wetsuit pick up a used drysuit. Usually you can find them and in great condition on the board for the price or less of a custom suit.

Back
Top Bottom