Question Custom harness for back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know exactly what I want in a harness just need to know how to make it...
Have you made a simple drawing of it?
Any sewing that needs to be done, go to an upholstery place that does boat and or car stuff. The rest you will need to piece together... it's not hard just a bunch of fiddling.

I have fiddled with my harness since I built it. And I ran twin chest d rings on one triglide ( was custom made ) per side.
Lower ones for my flashlights on each side.... worked fairly well, but I have gone away from that and use a custom oversized d ring.... I can take a picture if you want...

I'll just say it never ends:wink:

Please do …my wreck bag is on my right lower and my lights are tethered to my top right one …I have spg tethered to left tri glide and top d ring has my pinpoint on it

A harness like you want is very easy to make, I have all of the hardware laying around, just need webbing. The one Marie posted will fill all of your needs and you don’t have to wait to get it other than shipping time.

people who like the one piece are shaped differently, I’ve tried one piece several time and hate it, it just isn’t comfortable for “thicker people”.

I can make one for you but it will take longer than buying that one from DGX.

I'm getting hints that long-term you might want to do a bit of customization yourself, even if you're not inclined to do so at the moment.

Just FYI, you can add D-rings or move d-rings on just about any harness, so if a commercial, one-piece, or DIY doesn't have enough you can almost always add more. The exception are typically your BCDs designed for new divers, that don't have a backplate or separate harness.

You might also want to look into pouches as well, since it sounds like you carry a decent amount of equipment. In Sidemount (and some backplate diving), it's common to have a "butt pouch" which clips on d-rings or rails around the back or bottom of your harness or backplate. You can also attach a "butt plate" which slightly extends your harness downward, along with the rails being slightly lower.

For that you can do something like:

• Option 1 - my preferred is something like this, an inexpensive nylon one with a couple rails. There are also name-brand ones for around 3x the price. I've also found this style tends to relive some pressure from the crotch-strap.
  • Option 2 - Single plate. Alternative style. Attaches to crotch-strap in the back.
  • Option 3 - Two of these. alternative style. Threaded through webbing in the back.
There are a bunch of other styles out there of all of the above. Piranah Dive Mfg has a good selection.

You can also use the rails as another clip-off point.

You might also consider what can be moved to your wrists. For example, people sometimes put line cutters on their dive-computer-wrist-band.

This insistence on DIY and one piece harnesses is tiresome.

If the guy wants to spend his hard-earned money on a harness kit, that’s his business. If he doesn’t want a one piece harness, that’s his business, too. Quick releases and more D rings than some think are kosher aren’t the end of the diving world, regardless of how they offend the sensibilities of some

Not sure why you decided to quote part of my post about harness kit prices but I take umbrage as it was a general commentary and seems out context for your diatribe. Which is not a first.

That said as you decided to quote my post, re-read my full post and the original post (below for your edification). The OP is asking for someone to make him a harness. Asking someone here is basically a DIY by someone else. I gave suggestion of how one could start with a one-piece harness and add quick releases which is exactly what the OP requested (and with no sewing, which sewing that heavy of webbing is a PITA). And at that point is no longer a one piece harness. The OP could do that himself along with adding additional d-rings and hopefully get what they want.

Many times all one needs a bit of encouragement that doing something is not as hard as one thinks. How they got the harness bit to begin with is their choice. I think kits are over priced. It gets worse with "deluxe" harnesses. Thus my original general commentary on price.

Can anyone on Scuba board make me a custom harness for a back plate? I do not want a 1 piece ...can anyone make one with d rings and quick releases? Something similar to a Hog harness or OMS comfort iii harness??

CD - if you want some pictures of what I described, send me a note and I will take some for you.

I got an "adjustable" harness. It doesn't adjust. Seriously - the nylon buckles are close to impossible to adjust, especially when wet. It also turns out I have never once made use of a shoulder quick-release. Because of its design, the highest shoulder D-rings are impossible to adjust and are too high. I got, and love, the DGX loop adjustment rings, then realized that what I have is an overpriced, less-adjustable one-piece harness. I'm now ordering a length of webbing to replace everything except the loop adjustment rings and the waist buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom