Custom Drysuit or Stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I hear this a lot, but I also hear people say that it simply isn't true.

Where did you hear this? Does anyone have any convincing evidence either way?

I heard this in the DUI office regarding their undergarments. Not sure on the suits themselves though

reubencahn:
I guess I should have said that it isn't exactly a stock suit, it's a "select" suit with sport package, which is essentially a stock size with options. This lets me choose turbosoles, bellows pockets on both sides, kevlar or CF200 knee pads, and whatever overlays I want. I figured I'd install the pee valve myself. (Scooter is a long way off since my wife is ready to kill me when I order this drysuit.) The difference between this suit and a full custom is still about $400 to $500. In light of the overall cost, it's not a deal breaker but it's not insignificant either.

I find the Kevlar kneepads a bit too unflexible, I have them on one of my suits. The CF200 is probably the way to go. Personally, I like the just plain extra TLS material the best since I don't spend any time on my knees but it does tend to come unstitched the fastest. So one of the upgraded knee pads is a good idea.

Go with the thinsulate. I get cold easily so tend to use the 400g for anything other than a cave diving in Mexico. But, for shorter dives the 200G would probably work well too. The good thinsulate is one of the best things DUI offers. This stuff works just as well when it is wet and true "dry" dives are few and far in between.

RTodd:
If you make the changes necessary for these suits to be great suits, old style zipper . . .

I meant to ask, what's the difference between the old and new style zippers and why is the old style preferable?

reubencahn:
I meant to ask, what's the difference between the old and new style zippers and why is the old style preferable?

Old style zips from top left shoulder to bottom right. New is reversed, and, I believe, slightly shorter. I assume it was switched because some people had trouble reaching it. I have no idea. However, the old style is easier to confirm it is completelely closed and I think it is a better protected position.

reubencahn:
I guess I should have said that it isn't exactly a stock suit, it's a "select" suit with sport package, which is essentially a stock size with options. This lets me choose turbosoles, bellows pockets on both sides, kevlar or CF200 knee pads, and whatever overlays I want. I figured I'd install the pee valve myself. (Scooter is a long way off since my wife is ready to kill me when I order this drysuit.) The difference between this suit and a full custom is still about $400 to $500. In light of the overall cost, it's not a deal breaker but it's not insignificant either.

Hey RC...
I just remembered who you are! (computer)
Sounds like a really mean package you are getting. Lots of good stuff. Also some good advice, expecially from RTodd.

On zipper, I agree with RT that the old style (direction reversed from new style) is the way to go. Mine is an old suit and built that way, but most of the tekkies I know are getting their new ones that way as well.

Exhaust, Most of my buddies get the low profile sitek recently, but I just got a new DUI Apeks low profile, and it does not have the leak problems I have heard about (and seen) with last year's version. The seem to be sorted...

Exhaust placement, I got my valve moved to my left forearm. I really like it there. I feel like I have much more control over my venting, and the ability to see the air vent is a psychological warm fuzzy. On my longer deco hangs now, I like to vent out of the BC, and fill up the suit for more warmth. Then I can control my air easily with the forearm vent if I get too light...

I have the DUI thinsulate 400g, but bought a fleece suit since it does not get that cold here (10 or 12C at it's coldest) and I am MUCH more flexible in the suit. Read, MUCH...If I had the cash, the DUI powerstretch fleece would be one of my suits...I think they also make that undergarmetn custome sized....that's what I would do for one of my suits.

Then, if I needed something for even colder, I'd get a weezle or perhaps a Diving Concepts thinsulate with those stretch panels. At least I think that is DC that makes them like that....

Enjoy the shopping as much as the having...

You and I have had the discussion about all these things recently. So, no need for me to say it again.

All I can say is, I feel your pain. You can just wait until my suit arrives (ETA May 10-15), and then you can see how the experiment turned out in the end.

ScubaDadMiami:
You and I have had the discussion about all these things recently. So, no need for me to say it again.

All I can say is, I feel your pain. You can just wait until my suit arrives (ETA May 10-15), and then you can see how the experiment turned out in the end.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll try the suit on with 400g thinsulate and see how it feels before making a decision. I only wish I had someone in San Diego who knew what they were doing to come take a look with me. Oh well.

reubencahn:
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll try the suit on with 400g thinsulate and see how it feels before making a decision. I only wish I had someone in San Diego who knew what they were doing to come take a look with me. Oh well.

What about stopping by DUI?

Or are there any DUI dog days shceduled?

jagfish:
What about stopping by DUI?

Or are there any DUI dog days shceduled?

Unfortunately, I missed the only dog day set for San Diego. I don't know if you can stop by DUI but I was thinking of calling them up. I understand they're pretty good about answering questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom