Custom Drysuit or Stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to move from S. Fla. to San Diego, so a drysuit is in my future. Just about everyone I know, who dives dry, dives a TLS 350 Signature Series cave cut. I assumed there was no real alternative to custom if I was going to get a decent fit, but when I was in San Diego, I went into Aquatech, which has a huge selection of suits, and tried on a stock large. Seemed to fit fine. Leg length and arm length were good. Chest seemed big enough but not huge. But of course I've never tried on a drysuit and have only seen my friends in their cave cut Signature Series suits, so I don't really know how it should fit. I'm going to try it on again but I'm trying to figure out what I should look for. Assuming my motion is not restricted at all and I'm worried only about it being too loose, how loose is too loose? How tight does it need to be? Should I call DUI, give them my measurements and see what they say?

For what it's worth, my measurements sort of line up with DUI's size chart for the large but not exactly. My measurements are Chest 45 1/2, Waist 37, Hips 41 1/2, Girth 68, Floor to Crotch 34, Spine to Writst 30. I'm 6' 195 lbs. DUI says a large fits Chest 41 to 43, Waist 38 to 41, Hips 38 to 40, Girth 70 to 74, Floor to Crotch 34 to 36, Spine to Wrist 29 to 31. The one measurement DUI doesn't supply is Calf. Mine are a very skinny 13 1/2.

reubencahn:
I'm about to move from S. Fla. to San Diego, so a drysuit is in my future. Just about everyone I know, who dives dry, dives a TLS 350 Signature Series cave cut. I assumed there was no real alternative to custom if I was going to get a decent fit, but when I was in San Diego, I went into Aquatech, which has a huge selection of suits, and tried on a stock large. Seemed to fit fine. Leg length and arm length were good. Chest seemed big enough but not huge. But of course I've never tried on a drysuit and have only seen my friends in their cave cut Signature Series suits, so I don't really know how it should fit. I'm going to try it on again but I'm trying to figure out what I should look for. Assuming my motion is not restricted at all and I'm worried only about it being too loose, how loose is too loose? How tight does it need to be? Should I call DUI, give them my measurements and see what they say?

For what it's worth, my measurements sort of line up with DUI's size chart for the large but not exactly. My measurements are Chest 45 1/2, Waist 37, Hips 41 1/2, Girth 68, Floor to Crotch 34, Spine to Writst 30. I'm 6' 195 lbs. DUI says a large fits Chest 41 to 43, Waist 38 to 41, Hips 38 to 40, Girth 70 to 74, Floor to Crotch 34 to 36, Spine to Wrist 29 to 31. The one measurement DUI doesn't supply is Calf. Mine are a very skinny 13 1/2.

There isn't really a true "custom" DUI suit. They have a whole bunch of different patterns (hundres I believe). They take your measurements and match them to the best one. The pattern they use for my girlfriend is perfect, the suits they build for me are okay, but very similar to stock. If you can fit off the shelf, that is fine. But, the cave cut is really worth it. Unless you have owned several suits and can really try on a TLS and know if stock is close, I would go with custom. Plus, the other things that you should probably do to the suit to make it "right" make it a custom anyway.

If your buget allows get a custom cut suit but also study the size charts and compare diff brands I suggest Andy's also.

RTodd:
There isn't really a true "custom" DUI suit. They have a whole bunch of different patterns (hundres I believe). They take your measurements and match them to the best one.
I hear this a lot, but I also hear people say that it simply isn't true.

Where did you hear this? Does anyone have any convincing evidence either way?

jonnythan:
I hear this a lot, but I also hear people say that it simply isn't true.

Where did you hear this? Does anyone have any convincing evidence either way?
I believe it. I heard it from DUI's president, Susan Long, and was shown the hundreds of templates when she gave me a tour of the place last year.

To the original poster....
What did Aquatech say when you tried on the suit? Since they may sell hundreds each year, and they saw you in the suit, I'd probably weigh their opinion heavily.

ALso comes down to money. If a stock large fits you well enough and with the extra cash you would spend on custom, you could instead get nice pockets, some knee pads, seat pad and crotch pad and a pee valve...that might be more attractive to me.

These days I am convinced that a good suit fit is critical, but good undergarment fit is almost more important to me.

If I have a suit that allows good mobility, but my undergarments are too restrictive, what good is the nice fit of the suit?

The first thing comes to mind is did You use the undergarment that You would use diving with the fitting? Lots of suits would fit but, the size and type of undergarmet is the key. I would recommend that IF you get the DUI suit, get the largest boots possable for cold water diving, more soxs and underwear.
I have a few DUI CF200's with differences between all of them. The first has short legs, the second too long of legs with too tight of anckles. When putting on extra socks on trying to slip all that through the legs could be a challenge. The over sized boots will help get things all together. Rock boots are the best system in My opinion. The boots will tighten up the feet and prevent excess air pockets and helps eliminate the feet up postition. Bill

jagfish:
What did Aquatech say when you tried on the suit? Since they may sell hundreds each year, and they saw you in the suit, I'd probably weigh their opinion heavily.

ALso comes down to money. If a stock large fits you well enough and with the extra cash you would spend on custom, you could instead get nice pockets, some knee pads, seat pad and crotch pad and a pee valve...that might be more attractive to me.

These days I am convinced that a good suit fit is critical, but good undergarment fit is almost more important to me.

If I have a suit that allows good mobility, but my undergarments are too restrictive, what good is the nice fit of the suit?

If you make the changes necessary for these suits to be great suits, turbosoles instead of that rock crap, the older non-low profile valves, utility pocket on left, neoprene pocket on right, p-valve, old style overlay, old style zipper, upgraded knee pads and crotch pads (if using a scooter), etc. then the cost of a custom suit is not really that much more since three of the additions come "free" with a custom. The advantage of a custom is they do fit it exactly to the thickness of undergarments you will be wearing.

jagfish:

The people at Aquatech thought it fit well and that I would be fine with the stock size. I tried it on without undergarments, so I would want to put them on the next time I'm there to try the suit on. That way I can look at both the suit with the undergarment and the fit of the undergarment itself. Also, I'm thinking about going with the 300g powerstretch fleece instead of the thinsulate. Any thoughts about that would be helpful as well.

RTodd:
If you make the changes necessary for these suits to be great suits, turbosoles instead of that rock crap, the older non-low profile valves, utility pocket on left, neoprene pocket on right, p-valve, old style overlay, old style zipper, upgraded knee pads and crotch pads (if using a scooter), etc. then the cost of a custom suit is not really that much more since three of the additions come "free" with a custom. The advantage of a custom is they do fit it exactly to the thickness of undergarments you will be wearing.

I guess I should have said that it isn't exactly a stock suit, it's a "select" suit with sport package, which is essentially a stock size with options. This lets me choose turbosoles, bellows pockets on both sides, kevlar or CF200 knee pads, and whatever overlays I want. I figured I'd install the pee valve myself. (Scooter is a long way off since my wife is ready to kill me when I order this drysuit.) The difference between this suit and a full custom is still about $400 to $500. In light of the overall cost, it's not a deal breaker but it's not insignificant either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom