Custom DRY suit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know or have links to custom dry suit makers? I have an XL top, but short legs. So, I would be a good candidate for a custom order.

Thanks.

Mr. B

Mr. Bubble:
Anyone know or have links to custom dry suit makers? I have an XL top, but short legs. So, I would be a good candidate for a custom order.

Thanks.

Mr. B

No need to look for a custon drysuit company.
Most every brand of drysuit offers the option of custom size. In many cases the option is not available on the company's "budget line" but only on the higher end models. (I think because some the the lower priced suits are made in overseas plants.) But I know DUI offers two types of "custom" full custom where the entire suit is made to order and "customized" where they can adjust the leg and or arm lenghts. It seems the latter would be all you need.

I have short legs also. I bought a used drysuit that was a stock size. the feet were to small so I had them changed. Most everyone that changes out feet can offer to shorten the legs by up to 2" at the same time at no charge. (I figure it ctually saves them the work of using solvent so they are happy to do it.)

And OS Systems has something called "Semi-Custom" where they shorten or lengthen two of the three major measurements ... leg length, arm length or torso length. And it is half of what custom runs.

Mr. B,

I think all the manufacturers offer custom sizing, especially on their higher end suits. I believe that some offer a “semi-custom” where they match different stock tops and bottoms for you. I am such a mutant that I am forced to get a custom suit. I believe that Bare and USIA (the two brands/shops I narrowed it down to) both charge between $150 - $200 extra for a totally custom suit. If you are interested in a great price and service I recommend Richard at DiveTank in Vancouver BC (http://www.divetank.com/ or 1-877-89-SCUBA [1-877-897-2822]). They are a fully authorized second-generation family run dive shop. I believe that they are the biggest seller of both DUI and Bare in Canada if not North America. Just fill out the size form at: https://www.divetank.com/gear/bare-sizes.php and Richard will find a suit for you. They have a great return policy and will spend the time answering any questions you might have. I have purchased a number of things from them and always had a great experience.
That said, I decided to go with a USIA suit and DiveTank is not a USIA dealer. I chose USIA mainly because I live about 20 miles from the factory and the owner of the company is personally fitting me. They are even going to have me go to the factory and try on some boots and stuff to make sure everything is perfect. Also for the money I think their Aqua Pro Plus is a great suit and their sizing is the most extensive (http://www.usia.com/dealers/pdf/CustomSizingChart.pdf ) so I am hoping that all this will mean the perfect fitted suit. I am not sure if USIA has many retailers in the East. I know that they are growing and sell a lot of suits to the military. You can contact them at 1-800-247-8070 or http://www.usia.com .

hpoe this helps! Good luck.

Soggy

Thanks for all the great info. Looking forward to extending my diving capabilities, and comfort range.

TTYL,

Mr. B

From the research I've done, somewhat limited, the only company that will do a truely custom suit is Diving Concepts. Most of the other companies have more patterns that they use that they call "custom". Not only that, it's only an extra $150 for the custom option. My wife and I have the custom undies already and the suits are next. The fit on the undies is awesome, can't wait for the drysuit.

Diving Concepts makes a really great suit but the customer service pretty much sucks. DUI makes one of the best suits and they have awesome customer service. DUI is the all around best winner.

Well, I have recently bought a full custom Diving Concepts suit, and I'd have to say that, to date, my experience with their customer service has been good. They made an error in the original construction of the suit, and at least so far, they have bent over backwards to try to make it right for me. We're not done with the process yet, but thus far, I have no complaints.

And I love the suit (Pinnacle 2mm compressed neoprene) and the fit is perfect.

Hi,
I have a custom DUI TLS350 And totally love it, I have tried off the rack suits, but they were too tight for me in the calves. It was the best investment I ever made.
I have owned for 7 yrs, and have done over 250 dives in the Great lakes with it.
Good Luck with your purchase,
Robb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom