Currents on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregoahu

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha:

We have been fighting alot of current lately and I was wondering if there are any local websites or tools we can use to determine current strength? We have been trying to use tidal charts but, it's been hit and miss. (surfnewsnetwork)

Mahalo for your replies!
Gregoahu

Yea, that is a tough one. I am always trying to figure that one out better. Captain Joe is my best source, but sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. The bottom topography seems to play a big role as well as the moon. Pretty soon, you will know that if it is ripping in one spot, it will not be at a certain other spot. The other thing you can do is call the other captains on the water and get a report. Usually they end op scouting several spots around the full moon or new moon. I'm careful at slack tide at those times cause it can smoke suddenly. It does drive me nuts that it is so hard to predict, especially if you don't have anybody aboard.

I am sure you know how to gauge by looking at the subsurface bouy angle? Captain Carl calls the Atlantis guys early am..there is a guy there named Rob who usually has the scoop.

full moon = strong current
east side strongest current @ big tidal change during the day
west side strongest current @ small tidal change (semi diurnal)
east O'ahu also has the pacific trans equitorial current running between O'ahu and Molokai

is that the Molakai express?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom