Currents in the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A very old thread to resurrect, but currents change very rapidly here, and are wildly unpredictable. Some spots are known to have a higher likelihood of current than others - the Northwest Point (Orange Canyon, Big Tunnels, etc) for example.

That said, current regularly increases and decreases throughout the day depending on the location and time of year. I've even had current change direction mid-dive. At Lighthouse Point, we have one of the pencil markers that define the shore diving site measured. The lower it is in the water, the more current we have. This will rise and fall throughout the day.

Tony
Tony, wow. Thanks for writing back. No wonder you work at Dive Tech. Susanne and I love your operations Visited twice. . Give our best to Nancy and Jay. I am looking at a location for my Current generator to run our deepwater desalination units. Right now, you're running on diesel power and sucking up brackish water. I do not usually see posts, so my email is bobevans@chessevans.com. Maybe we go diving together? Have a great day.

A very old thread to resurrect, but currents change very rapidly here, and are wildly unpredictable. Some spots are known to have a higher likelihood of current than others - the Northwest Point (Orange Canyon, Big Tunnels, etc) for example.

That said, current regularly increases and decreases throughout the day depending on the location and time of year. I've even had current change direction mid-dive. At Lighthouse Point, we have one of the pencil markers that define the shore diving site measured. The lower it is in the water, the more current we have. This will rise and fall throughout the day.

Tony
Dang. I thought that Bob was asking about electricity rates. :yeahbaby:

(Looks like I was right).

AggieDiver,
Currents are not caused by winds. Sea state is controlled by an interaction of winds and currents, but that is at the surface. There can be substantial current present with flat calm seas--0 wind speed. Boat crews select which side of the island to dive based upon sea state, but, having done that, the individual dive site is often selected BECAUSE of lack of current. Thus, few divers will see any amount of current.
Not to bring up old issues, since Keyshunter's response was from 2010, but wind at the surface over shallow water can easily generate a longshore current that will affect the diving, as it often does along the northeast end of the Jackson's bight section of the BBMP. He is correct that there can still be current with flat seas and that other factors drive most currents. But on Little Cayman in particular, one of the primary drivers of currents around the dive sites on the north side is how much water is being pushed into the BBMP from the east along the hard pan section of shoreline. Wind direction, speed, etc. will be an important factor in how much of a longshore current moves east to west along the north side of LC, and how far into the BBMP it pushes marginal visibility.

Not to bring up old issues, since Keyshunter's response was from 2010, but wind at the surface over shallow water can easily generate a longshore current that will affect the diving, as it often does along the northeast end of the Jackson's bight section of the BBMP. He is correct that there can still be current with flat seas and that other factors drive most currents. But on Little Cayman in particular, one of the primary drivers of currents around the dive sites on the north side is how much water is being pushed into the BBMP from the east along the hard pan section of shoreline. Wind direction, speed, etc. will be an important factor in how much of a longshore current moves east to west along the north side of LC, and how far into the BBMP it pushes marginal visibility.
Looking for ocean currents to run our Current generator. Would be deep and off shore. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom