Currents in Palau/Yap re: full/new moon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
We're planning a trip to Yap, Palau and PI (Dumaguete and Bohol) for May, 2013. Although we do not prefer current diving, we've decided to do it because of the great sites in Palau. So here is the question-- How significant is the difference in the currents in Palau during the full/new moon VS the time in between them? I'm trying to plan specific dates and, of course, can't avoid full/new moon during the whole time (3 weeks) but I may be able to avoid them for our 6 days in Palau. Schedule-wise, we'd rather go a week earlier but then we'll be in Palau right at either side the new moon. We could go a week later and miss the new moon there.

I'm assuming that Palau is the part of our trip where the currents are most prevalent (instead of Yap and PI). If we go the week later to avoid moons in Palau, we'll be in Yap during the new moon, but don't know if that is a big deal.

Another thought... is the diving in Palau much better during the stronger currents, so is it worth putting up with them to see better fish life?

Any ideas/advice about this? Thanks.

The moon phases don't have any affect on the current. Only the tides. There is little difference in the tides based on the moon phases. The dive operators look at the tide charts and decide where to go. The current is really strong on some dives, but the use of reef hook makes them doable. The best diving for creatures is in the strongest currents.

viva1, I started similar thread recently. My concern was that the strict dive schedule of liveaboards may not coincide with best dive conditions, which as bbarada points out is with strong currents. However, while I'm not an expert, I have to disagree with bbarada's point that moon phases don't affect tides. Tides are highest during full or new moon phases (also called spring tides). We will be in Palau during a full moon this July and hoping for strong currents, large schools of fish and, of course, tons of sharks. Only time I don't enjoy currents is when you have to swim against them. Drift diving means, relax & go with the flow . . .

The moon phases don't have any affect on the current. Only the tides. There is little difference in the tides based on the moon phases.

Moon phases affect tides, tides affect currents. Whole dive trips out here are planned around moon phases because of the impact they have on the currents. Peleliu Express is a prime example. And the moon's phase has a definite effect on tides, high and low tides vary considerably based on the phase of the moon. You can actually look at a tide chart out here and tell whether it is a new/full moon just by the tides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom