Current water temp in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be diving on the Big Island next week and was wondering what is the water temperature? How are the dive conditions?

We were there last week and did a shore dive and a bunch of boat dives with Big Island Divers:

Place of Refuge depth 76' water temp 74
Garden Eel cove depth 80' water temp 75
Manta Night dive same place as above depth 34' water temp 74
Rose Garden depth 104' water temp 74
Lone Tree Arch depth 54' water temp 68 that was cold for us
Air Station depth 58' water temp 75
Crescent Beach depth 94' water temp 74

Well at least that is what my computer said. We had a great time diving there the reefs and vis was very good the last day vis was down too 75'. The reefs were amazing and lots of schools of fish, much better than Honolulu.

"vis down to 75'" sounds real good to me after this weekends dives in pea soup.

Yes it was the one of those weeks of 100 plus, the only reason I think it went down was that we had a rain storm the night before and it killed the vis. But it could have been the location.

Weeks of 100+ are more the norm in Kona. We had a pretty good swell that bumped the viz down about your last day if my guess is right on the timing. Rain usually doesn't affect the viz here at all... several of the dive sites you mention aren't within a half mile of soil, so there's nothing to wash into the ocean to affect viz when it rains.

Swells can mess it up as they can churn up what sand is sitting around and bring in offshore floaty stuff (plankton?). It's still decently diveable here today... it'll be curious to see what tomorrow brings if these big waves hit.

Back
Top Bottom