Current Vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNW Dive Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I had planned to head to Hood Canal to dive this weekend, or Seattle area. I'm guessing that with all this rain, that the vis is horrible. Any reports? Thanks!

I dove Edmonds on Sunday, and the viz was pretty darned nice -- probably about 20 feet. Last Friday, viz at Cove 2 was poor in the shallows (fresh water layer) but below the halocline, it was very reasonable, in the 15 to 20 range.

I haven't heard anything about Hood Canal recently.

Thanks, we're trying to decide if it's worth the drive from Portland or if we should wait. I hate it when we go that far, only to have less than a foot or so vis...

Well, it is POURING now, so you might want to ask again in a day or two, and see if anybody has been out.

Well, It's probably a moot point now as I 5 is closed do to flooding and we can't get there! Even Amtrak is suspended. Thanks for answering though. We'll just have to make our monthly trek later in the month!

Judging from the way the Puyallup was running yesterday (about 24 million muddy gallons per second into Commencement Bay), I'd say that vis is going to be pretty rotten over the next few days. Besides that, all the trees and debris that got swept into Puget Sound could be kinda hazardous.

FWIW - I spent yesterday afternoon and evening filling, distributing and placing sandbags ... our team of about 75 people put down more than 8,000 bags here at the plant because the ACoE said there was a good chance the levy wouldn't hold ... it did, but only because levies further upstream didn't.

(Edit) ... here's a pic I just noticed in the Seattle P-I. Our plant is just beyond the bridge you see in the background. Commencement Bay is another quarter-mile downstream ...

Puyallup.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Anyone hit the water recently? Vis report??
Alki sucked last week (Sunday, Cove 1, just wanted to get wet). Vis was only in the 5-10 foot range, lots of particulate matter in the water, which made even a tightly focused light beam scatter a hell of a lot. It didn't clear up at all from the surface down to almost 100', so we didn't try to go deeper, and bagged it after only 30 mintues.

Lots of gunnels, stubby squid, baby octos, and other goodies, though, when you could see 'em. :D

I'm hoping that I'll have better viz tomorrow...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom