Current lines behind the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know Chuck...

• Some blame the rope!
  • Some blame the knot!
  • Some blame the bloke who used the wrong knot for the rope! :D

Poly rope has it's uses and there are knots that work well with it. It's not my personal favorite, but for a tag line, it works just fine and it's CHEAP.

Chuck Tribolet:
And I'll stand by my opinion that braided poly has no business on a boat
except as a ski rope.

Go ahead, I doubt anyone will take issue with you using whatever lines you prefer on your boat. I don't remember you expressing that opinion earlier in the thread. What I remember is your statement that it's harder to splice.

I like braided poly for a current line. I want my current line to float, I want it to be thin and strong. I believe it's ideal for that use. I agree with you, that it's far from ideal as a choice to use running a tag line from the stern to the down line. I don't want that line to float. Ideally, that line will run at about 10 - 15 feet.

I am in the pro poly camp, it floats, it is strong, it is light, it is available in bright colors so others can see it, it splices easily and because it is cheap it is no big deal to replace it frequently.

dock lines, braided nylon
anchor rode twisted nylon
tag line, polypropylene

N

I have a 25' dive boat in the Northeast Boston area and run a round life ring with 1/4 poly red/white line 50' off the back of my boat everytime diving. Helps in current and surfacing away from boat and keeps boaters/fisherman further away. also have dive tube canvas red/white with flag I will use on occacssion but takes up more room on boat.

Someone may have said this but the poly is fine, get a cord reel from Home Depot etc. to put it on Bayco Cord Reel With Stand and Handle - CE-100PDQ at The Home Depot

Keep the line and reel out of direct sunlight when not in use so the UV will not eat it up and replace the line when it starts to get frayed.

Poly is cheap, it floats, and it is more then strong enough.

I use one of those as my primary cave reel :D

d07dd950-bd04-4132-9de9-a339ec3cfc59_300.jpg

ACME Cave Reel​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom