Current lines behind the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For poly lines you can purchase a cheap device, I used to use discarded pens, a pointed plastic cylinder that you place an end into and then push it into the other line and weave it through, then repeat for the other line and it is a pretty good splice. N

For poly lines you can purchase a cheap device, I used to use discarded pens, a pointed plastic cylinder that you place an end into and then push it into the other line and weave it through, then repeat for the other line and it is a pretty good splice. N

It's called a "fid." Good word for scrabble and crossword puzzles, too.

Calling the plastic tube for doing poly rope splices a fid somehow seems to do a grave injustice to most fids! I own a few and a few marlin spikes as well. Splicing rope is fun.

Splicing Poly Rope

Here is a proper fid:

ALDFD12_detail.jpg

When you set your anchor. you have the typical Danforth with 10 to 30 ft of 1/2" chain then shackled to a 600 to 1,000 ft of 1/2 nylon line.

when your in a lot of current or the waves are large you add a lead sled that slides on a bushing just abouve the chain to kep the scope angle flat the the line goes up to the Glousta Ball. I like to use the 36 " type like this as it gives plenty of bouyancy without popping your anchor.

ldseries_main.jpg

I use a 36" Glosta ball like this for anchor retrival.

aseries_main.jpg

this is typical of the underwater structure thet we dive on in New England.

A while back my dive buddy linsay came uo with a unique way of dealing with a pesky lobsterman that harrassed us every time we dove by running his boat over us to try and hit us and dropping bricks. Linsey put his 12 Ga Bang stick on a 10 ft pole and just waited for the lobster boat to run over him. POP! Made a nice hole in the bottom of the boat. that lobsterman never did bother Linsey again.

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
It's called a "fid." Good word for scrabble and crossword puzzles, too.

Yeah, but, it was asked what a glosta ball was so I figured I should be more basic and just call it a plastic tube thingy.N

Here is a simple trick I started doing many years ago.

Just run a piece of 1/4 inch braided steel cable tie wrapped to your floating 3/8 poly line that you run 100 ft behind your boat to your dive bouy.

1/4" would be sink the poly. Maybe 1/16" stainless aircraft cable.
;-)

Fortuately, in NorCal (where PeterC, the OP, and I, live) we don't
have problems that need that solution.

I've got a bigger problem when the MPYC lays out their sailboat
race right through my already anchored Whaler.

Back
Top Bottom