Current Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Last year I had to be in Seattle for a week and a half, so I decided to do some diving. NWGratefulDiver (Bob) was kind enough to show me around and do a few dives with me. Well its that time again, and I have to be back in town for a little over two weeks (two whole weekends), some of which just might be available for diving (I hope). I wish I could convince them to do this during the summer when surface time is a bit more enjoyable.

Now the only down side last year other than cold bad tasting water (fresh water has some advantages, although this time of year we have to cut a hole to get in it) was the visibility was down right poor. I'm used to poor conditions when doing quary dives, but these were even worse. So before going to the trouble of hauling all that stuff across the country, any word on the conditions?

Also anyone got any plans for diving the weekends of Jan 8-9 and/or 15-16? I don't know exactly what days I will have available yet, that will depend in large part on how things go for the work we will be doing out there, hopefully I'll get the weekends free.

One last question, last year I made the mistake of renting AL80 tanks. Here in the Great Lakes AL80 aren't a problem because we dive fresh water, but I discovered it makes a huge difference in salt water. I used to have a neat table that showed the buoyancy differences for the common steel and aluminum tanks, but I can't find it now. Does anyone have a link showing the difference, or remember for AL80 and Steel in common rental sizes? Also, are the steel tanks all DIN, or are they the common yoke type we see with AL80s? I don't have a problem with DIN, I just need to find an adapter, or I've been wanting a new set of regs... :)

Bob

I don't mind cold water diving, I just draw the line at having to chop a hole in it first.

Vis has been really variable of late ... in the past two weeks I've experienced it anywhere from <10 feet to >30 feet.

Bob, I'm pretty well booked for January, but if you do decide to dive let me know and I'll try to squeeze in a dive or two with you while you're out here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looking at the extended forecast doesn't look to promising, looks like a cold spell is settling in, but it gets better on Monday, figures. Granted, weather forecasts a week out aren't generally all that reliable.

I can deal with the cold water, but I hate when the air outside is colder than the water. You never seem to get warmed back up properly.

Maybe this is a good time to simply go see the aquarium and take in some of the area's other attractions. I understand there is a new Science Fiction museum that has my curriousity peaked.

Bob don't go out of your way on my account, I'm sure I'll get other chances to dive with you, particularly if we end up moving out there in a couple of years, which is something we are talking about.

I really need to find an excuse to be in Seattle during the summer.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom