Current conditions on Big Island windward side? Looking for dive buddies this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

localdivah

Contributor
Reaction score
Shanghai mainly, Singapore, Tokyo, Beijing, Boston
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

I have been diving Oahu over the past 3 years, but am just getting to Big Island tomorrow for the first time. I have only a few days and would like to get in some solid diving on Fri and Sat.

I've found plenty of posts about diving Kona, but because of the logistics and drive time (understand this is 2+ hrs ea way), I will probably be diving on windward side. Are there any LDSs in or south of Hilo?

Can you tell me how conditions are right now for anything within, say 45 min drive of Kehena Beach (where I'll be staying)? Although it may be easiest to link up with a local shop for boat diving, if I can find someone to go out with, I'd prefer the flexibility of shore diving. I'm fairly comfortable with a variety of rocky and high surf entries, but wouldn't want to go solo in unfamiliar sites.

Any Hilo-side divers that are planning on going out this weekend? I'm a DM, very low-maintenance, and happy to kick in for gas (if boat), pizza if shore! I will be renting a jeep and just need a couple tanks.

Cheers --

I'm not sure if there are any boats out of the east side, it's down to one local shop (Nautilus) over there as far as I hear. Tradewinds tend to cut into the diving on the east side. The trades are supposedly down for a day or more right now so you might have some decent shore conditions. You might wander into Nautilus and inquire where the best shore dives are.

Sent you a PM localdivah, with a little more info; here is just some general stuff:

1.) Nautilus Dive Center is the place to call regarding current conditions at Leleiwi and Richardsons (two main Hilo dive sites). Bill DeRooy is the owner/instructor. We just had a pretty good swell pass through, and although it is calming down, I'm not sure how the vis and surge is at Leleiwi (but Bill can probably tell you). It often takes a few days of calm weather for visibility to get good after a big swell comes though, but not always, and I have not gone diving in several weeks so I'm not sure what the vis is currently. Bill does take individuals and groups out on shore dives, is a great guy and very experienced and knowledgeable regarding diving here in East Hawaii.

2.) I had heard, but really do not know for sure, if Lobo Del Mar is running a boat dive out of Hilo. Again, the weather conditions will effect vis and surge (and how rough the boat ride is!!).

3.) Kona side will be about a 2 hour drive from where you are staying, via the southern route... but if conditions are not great on the Hilo side, I'd really recommend making the drive to Kona. There are some really great shore and boat dives over there!

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom