Curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I follow the pattern that Nemrod uses. When diving in situations where a BCD is beneficial, I use a backplate, single tank adapter, and small wing.

All of my non-vintage diving is done with a backplate and appropriate sized wing. I used to just use the same plate for everything from cave diving to tropical reefs, but got too lazy to keep adjusting the straps for when I switch from a dry suit to wet. I have two plates, one for wetsuit diving, and one for dry.

A backplate/wing system is so streamlined and simple, that I haven't owned a jacket style BCD for more than 5 years.

This photo shows how "clean" the system can be.

P1011024.jpg

Greg Barlow

I have them Captain, you need the files again? I have the few I took anyways.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

I think this is you:

IMG_0224.jpg

Nem

I would appreciate it if you could send them to me.
Thanks.

Man, seeing all these pics is really giving me the itch to ditch the BC. I hate the restricted movement that a bc causes. On the rare occasion that I am properly weighted, I make all my buoyancy adjustments through my breathing anyway.

Until last year, I never even owned a BC. I just never needed one. I bought a horse collar BC last year because I wanted to try quarry diving and the quarries require that divers wear a BC. I chose the horse collar because it works with all my old gear and doesn't get in the way. I don't use it, it's just there for looks and to comply with OPs who require them.

Man, seeing all these pics is really giving me the itch to ditch the BC. I hate the restricted movement that a bc causes. On the rare occasion that I am properly weighted, I make all my buoyancy adjustments through my breathing anyway.

It's really easy to do. All you need is one of those plastic backpacks still available through trident (ask your LDS-they could order one for you) or I make and sell a stainless version of a retro backpack but modernized.

Or the other very simple solution is to get a couple cam bands, a hog harness kit and just make yourself a tank strap kit and put the tank straight on your back and skip the plate/pack.
Just remember to weight yourself really light and add weight as needed, not the other way around. Nothing worse than trying to stay floating on the surface because of being overweighted.

I posted this in another thread on here last night, but I actually already have a plastic aqualung backpack and other vintage gear. Actually I have two, a single and a double. My grandpa is a junk collector and he had this stuff for years, when I got into diving he gave them to me, but I didn't really know what they were until I found this sub-forum.

The single tank back pack looks like it just needs new straps, the double looks like new almost.

I'm not sure I want to give up my computer and go full vintage, but I'm lovin the no bc idea.

I posted this in another thread on here last night, but I actually already have a plastic aqualung backpack and other vintage gear. Actually I have two, a single and a double. My grandpa is a junk collector and he had this stuff for years, when I got into diving he gave them to me, but I didn't really know what they were until I found this sub-forum.

The single tank back pack looks like it just needs new straps, the double looks like new almost.

I'm not sure I want to give up my computer and go full vintage, but I'm lovin the no bc idea.

Most of us use computers, if you really want to look vintage just hide it in a suit.

Many dive under the term eclectic. Using a mix of vintage and contemporary items to their liking. Unless part of a special event there are no vintage gear police and in most cases the generations coexist nicely.

If you are really develop a special interest you may zero in on a brand or year in time for a period correct setup.

As Captain said the computer can be concealed if that's contrary to the look you seek. If on a dive intensive trip you will certainly want the gas exposure management advantages of your dive computer.

If you're making a single dive to modest depth you might rely on planning, a J valve or honker a vintage depth gauge and some timepiece. Under some conditions you may not even need a full set of instruments.

Pete

Most of us use computers,.........

What the ******?! Now I do feel old!

You can use your computer, most of us as Captain says do use a modern computer, most of the time, though most of us are completely capable of multi-level Tables calculations on the fly with watch and depth gauge. But since I mostly carry a camera, my hands are full and my pea sized brain as well so a computer is handy, will give that.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom