Curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I am not in that "most of us" category when it comes to computers. I don't own one and don't have any plans on ever getting one.:D

What the ******?! Now I do feel old!

I have been using a computer since 1985. In my opinion the computer is the one and only significant piece of dive gear invented since the Aqua Lung. I have a notation in my log book on the first dive I did with the Edge and it says" this is what we have been waiting for". Prior to the Edge I had gone through several early attempts at a decompression computer, several Scubapro SOS Bendomatics, the Faralon Decomputer, etc with not much luck or confidence and then along came the Edge.
I did a lot of hunting on the oil rigs and it is multi level diving to the max which ideally fits using a computer. Square profiles on tables are no problem but on the up and down of rig spearfishing the computer can't be beat.

Last edited:
I was just giving you a hard time, Captain. I know that a computer would be ideal for a multi-dive day, especially when trying to maximize on dive time as when on a boat diving trip and such. I just haven't been able to bring myself to get one, and most of my dives are relatively shallow and by the time I get all the table dives in that I can for the day, I'm pooped! I honestly was unaware that most of the vintage divers were on computers. Now I know.

In the 70ies, I too had one of those Farralon contraptions with “stop light simplicity” It was recalled shortly after I bought it. In the 80ies I worked for two people who fell victim to the Bend-O-Matic. In the 90ies I borrowed a Suunto that decided it didn’t like the profile I used and locked up for 48 hours. That put me off computers until a friend loaned me a nice and easy puck computer last year, now I own one just like it….. There's nought so queer as folk..’cept maybe computers.

c

All my rig diving/spearfishing buddies had those Bend-O-matics, they are mostly dead now, RIP.

N

I was just giving you a hard time, Captain. I know that a computer would be ideal for a multi-dive day, especially when trying to maximize on dive time as when on a boat diving trip and such. I just haven't been able to bring myself to get one, and most of my dives are relatively shallow and by the time I get all the table dives in that I can for the day, I'm pooped! I honestly was unaware that most of the vintage divers were on computers. Now I know.

But I am computer vintage as I still use the Edge I bought in 1985 and it tracks nicely with a newer 2005 Oceanic.

All my rig diving/spearfishing buddies had those Bend-O-matics, they are mostly dead now, RIP.

N

Sounds like an advertisement:rofl3:

in 2004 on a planned trip to the flower gardens, I discovered my Aqual lung depth gauge had leaked all the oil out, and being 30 years since it was new, I could not find anyone to repair it........so I bought a Aries dive computer,,,,,makes a nice depth guage, accurate too............I still use the tables for planning as my eyes are so bad, reading the little green bars, on the aries, is pointless...........but it makes for a nice depth guage as I said...........

BC's are nice on the surface when there is some distance to swim back to point of origin........or when carrying a heavy camera etc.........but diving with out one, as stated many times here......there ain't no comparison.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom