Curious baby Humpback whale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This Sunday, after 2 great dives on the west side, we were cruzin back the harbor when the Capt quickly cut the engines and announced "Breaching whale ahead!"
I was quick with the camera to catch a baby Humpback whale breach and fin slap about 75 yrds off the bow. Hard to zoom from a boat deck, where's my steady cam!!
Just when we thought the show was over, the baby surfaced and swam right up to the boat and splashed a bit.
At that time the "Momma Humpback" must have decided that Jr. was too close to the boat for her comfort and proceeded to swim up from below and nose the baby away, and with a splash of the tail, the baby and mom were gone!
I got most of it on tape although some spots are shaky. You can see the shadow of the mom as she lifts up the baby right next to the boat.
The whale song was added to the music for your enjoyment
Thanks to Capt Randy and Capt Bruce's Scuba Charters for the opportunity to see this!

Terrific! Too bad the whales will be long gone by the time I get there!

wow,amazing

Drew that was awesome. I took my family up to Makapu'u Lighthouse the other day and just stared at the water and nothing. You are a lucky man.

As always, great job with your video Drew.....how lucky to see them so close by....what amazing and majestic creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom