Curious about jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grillins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, everyone

I just recently did my OW certs in the Florida springs and loved every minute of it. I have the Mares Quattro Plus, which are fine. Exactly the quality I expected. However, I'm looking more at jet fins. Also hoping maybe they will make me more feet heavy. With such a big head, you'd think it'd be a bobber, but I do find myself more head heavy. Would this help to balance that out? And would they be better for working on maneuverability and alternate kicking styles? I have a decent grasp on frog kicks (even without thrusting my legs). Not so much on reverse kicks. I'm just curious as to what advantages there may be there vs conventional fins. I definitely need to master tight turns without using my hands. I don't plan to never use my Mares again, but maybe just another option for different types of diving.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240904_184908_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240904_184908_One UI Home.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 61
Why do you think you need to be more foot heavy? If that's you in the center of that jpg you're practically vertical in the water. Stiffer fins can help with the precise positioning kicks but there are other alternatives with more comfortable foot pockets than the Jets. You might want to get 30 or 40 dives in before you start switching equipment around, or at least work with an instructor who can help you sort out your trim, then decide whether you need different fins.

Why do you think you need to be more foot heavy? If that's you in the center of that jpg you're practically vertical in the water. Stiffer fins can help with the precise positioning kicks but there are other alternatives with more comfortable foot pockets than the Jets. You might want to get 30 or 40 dives in before you start switching equipment around, or at least work with an instructor who can help you sort out your trim, then decide whether you need different fins.
Stationary was one thing. It's not hard to get upright. But, moving forward, I had a few times my feet went for the surface.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your feet going for the surface but I think at this point it's more likely to be a skills problem than an equipment problem. Give yourself a little time, and maybe some coaching, to figure out which. My avatar picture is probably me on a safety stop, and I'm perfectly comfortable being a little head down, fins up.

Hey Grilins, welcome to diving!

I would get a few more dives in to get adjusted to the equipment you are currently using, then start with small tweaks to the set up. Ex: try moving the tank band up or down an inch on the tank to see if it improves your trim. Start paying attention to your weight distribution and slowly make adjustments: are the weights on a belt around your waist? Are they integrated into the BCD? Are you putting some weights on the tank? Are you using a standard BCD? If so, try out a backplate and wing configuration after a few more dives in the standard configuration.

Fin selection will make sense after a few more dives, depending on the style of diving you are interested. Jet fins are great for maneuverability, but there is a learning curve coming out of the "regular" fins. Some divers love split fins, others hate them.

If you have a chance, try different gear and configurations before committing (buying) gear. It will help bring things together for your particular style in diving. Talk to other divers at different shops, gather as much information as you can and try things out as much as possible. It will help you make an informed decision.

Happy diving!

How much weight are you carrying? Is it possible that you are over-weighted?

I would prefer the fins you have now. If you are doing any real swimming, those foot pockets are more comfortable and I think the fins are better.

As others said, do a few dozen more dives with what you have and you will feel comfortable, you might want to adjust the placement of lead on your body if you can and/or possibly reduce the total lead a little?

Truly this is much more complicated than fins, it’s best to work with someone experienced to solve this who can be in the water with you.

I find those Mares some of the worst fins I have ever used and others love them, Jets are some of the best fins available but they do come with some positives and negatives.

Better to stick with what you have and work on trim with other things like weight distribution, not just where you have it in relation to center of gravity but you’ll probably be distributing some of it on to the beach.

I wouldn't switch my jetfins for anything. Saying that, I didn't need them until I moved in to a twin set and my RK3s were bending like a piece of paper.

The trim you have in the image screams that you need better weighing and more practice. Equipment might make a difference sure, but it doesn't seem the core of this problem.
Florida springs has really good instructors that are also cave divers. I would contact a tech diver for some sessions to help you with trim and buoyancy. You may get sorted out in less than 3-4 sessions.

Trim is a matter of experience and skill, not gear.

Don't beat yourself up, a lot of new divers try to compensate for lack of skill with different gear. You will solve your trim issues with more dives and more time in the water.

That being said, Jet fins have been around for a long, long time. For a good reason. They're the best fins available! Jets are heavy and so not the best for travel. But for local diving you can't beat Jet fins. They're powerful, easy to don and doff, and you can do a variety of kicks with those babies.

Back
Top Bottom