Curacao trip report: 8/21-8/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadMaxEsq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from Curacao at about 1AM Sunday morning. Trip report below and maybe some pics later.

Overall a great vacation. Wife and I were upgraded to first class on Delta on both segments (IAD-ATL and ATL-CUR) thanks to my silver medallion status. We got out of ATL about 2 hours late and were served breakfast at about 1230pm, would have rather had lunch.

Arrived only about 45 minutes late into CUR and got to Breezes at about 4pm. Orbitz screwed up our oceanfront reservation and we were stuck in an oceanview suite in the noisy Royal tower. This did not put me in a great mood, but I got over it.

We did our welcome dive with the on site dive op on Sunday and everything went smoothly except for having to drag the stupid buoy around everywhere. Visibility on Sunday was acceptable, though not great.

Monday we did the dolphin boat dive in the morning, which is ridiculously expensive, but fun nonetheless. Visibility had deteriorated dramatically. I would have to guess 30-35 feet at best. Unfortunately, these conditions remained throughout the rest of the week.

Tuesday morning we did a guided dive with Colin (I think that was his name, I'm terrible about that) from the Dive Bus on their house reef. Despite the visibility, it was just great diving (no buoy to drag) and there is no way I would have spotted the sea life like he was able to (scorpion fish, juvenile trunkfish, etc.) It was great to meet Mark and Suzy after reading so much about them. It was unfortunate that we weren't able to join them for another dive later in the week, we were hoping to try and squeeze in a night dive, but it just didn't work out. Overall, highly recommend the Dive Bus at their new location.

Wednesday to Friday we only had time to do our included shore dive on the Breezes reef. Wasn't bad.

Non-diving, we did the ATV tour with Eric's ATV adventures. Well worth it. A great tour of the east end of the island. Ended up very hot and dirty, but had a great time.

We went into Willemstad on Thursday and did some shopping and had a great meal at some sidewalk restaurant.

Friday was reserved for relaxing and that's what we did. It was also great.

On Saturday, we made it to the airport in plenty of time and learned that there was only one seat available in first class :depressed: We made it back to ATL on time and enjoyed the upgrade on the flight back to DC.

Overall, it was a great first trip to curacao. The people were very friendly (except for one grumpy bartender at Breezes). It was amazing to learn that the locals speak so many languages. In addition to the English, Dutch, Spanish, and Papiamentu that it seemed everybody spoke, our ATV tour guide told us he also spoke Cantonese!

Breezes is an OK resort, dont expect a 5 star experience or drinks to be served in normal sized cups. If you can handle some water stained walls, small cups strewn everywhere, and the occasional lack of beach towels, you'll do fine.

Once I touch up some of the pics, I may post a few, although I'm still very new at that and they may still suck.

Thanks for reading.

I love reading trip reports! Did you get a chance to dive the west side of the island? I hear great things about the ATV tour. Perhaps next visit...

good report and fast after getting home. glad you had a good trip. what was the reason for the bad vis? we are heading there friday but staying up in westpunt and hope the vis improves.

Can't tell you why the bad vis, but it was fairly persistent last week.
Perhaps a little better today, at least at the West end. Hopefully will clear out this week.
Didn't keep us from finding four Seahorses on one dive though:D

Attachments

• 224 Seahorse.jpg
    224 Seahorse.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 53
Unfortunately, we did not make it out to the west end. Something to look forward to for next time.

Nobody seemed to know why everything was so churned up and vis was so bad. People were saying it was the worst they had seen in years. It beats the local quarry, but was slightly disappointing after traveling so far. Just another reason to come back sooner.

Hey MadMax,

Thanks for your kind words - much appreciated :eek:)

The bad vis was probably due, in part, to the full moon which always turns the currents backwards and can, on occasion, cause bad (i.e. less than 80 ft!) vis. The full moons in August, Sept and October signal coral spawning so it's always an interesting time to dive in terms of sheer volume of aquatic life, but the trade-off can be bad vis for a few days.

Glad to hear it didn't put you off and hope to see you again soon :)

Glad you liked our new location even though it's not exactly quite finished yet! Soon, soon, soon.... Any volunteers happy to paint are welcome to come help us out!

Thanks again and all best
Suzy

The Dive Bus - WELCOME

Thanks for the report! Headed down in November for a couple weeks to the same place and Suzy from "The Dive Bus" has been great coordinating dives outside the resort.

We're planning a group trip to Curacao for next summer and have been considering Breezes, but I have read nothing but bad reviews on Trip Advisor. Of course, there are always those that you are not going to make happy no matter what, but it is a bit concerning. We're not picky, but would like reasonably clean accomodations, and good food.

We're also taking several kids with us (ages 4 +) and was wondering about the Kids' Club and activities they have there.

I am thinking of heading to Curacao in March. Has anyone rented a vacation house?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom