Curacao Questions--Where to Stay/ New & Experienced Diver Couple

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Marriott sounded great, but I see it has no availability when we are looking, unfortunately.
Interesting. I wonder if it’s unavailable because it’s actually full, or they slipped their reopening date again.

Hello, everyone! This is a long, probably overly wordy post seeking some travel guidance from a new diver/newish mom who's feeling overwhelmed with travel planning, so please be patient with me! :)

I am getting my certification finally; I have dove before with an instructor with me, so I know I can get down and love it, and have done SNUBA (not the same, I know, but again, no problems) and anticipate continuing to enjoy diving. My husband, on the other hand, is a little bit more of an experienced diver, but not super experienced--he has done maybe 35-40 open water dives. Diving together is something we have dreamed of doing and we are finally in a position in our lives to make this happen. We are planning our first dive trip to Curacao in early October, in time for their dive fest. HOORAY! I am SO excited (for the diving, but also the trip away with him)!

I am here to ask for some advice on where to stay, and then also where to dive.

Where to Stay:
If it helps to give context, here is a little about what we are looking for and our experiences:
  • We partially want to dive on the trip for sure, but we're also looking for a vacation together just to relax and read and veg out without our kiddos, so the trip/resort/hotel does not have to be 100% dive focused.
  • We would love to stay at a place where we can dive, but don't mind going off the resort/away from the hotel to dive. So ideally we'd be well positioned for various dives (more notes and questions on that below). I love a hotel feel (Starbucks in the lobby? Sweet!) as long as there is a nice, warm, CLEAN pool, while my husband sort of prefers more of a tropical resort feel (with a warm, CLEAN pool). We'd REALLY prefer adults-only, but it's not that big of a deal. (We have kids. We love kids. We love a break from our kids/kids in general once in a while.) All-inclusive is not necessary (not big drinkers), but restaurants nearby or on-site are really nice. We do NOT, for this particular trip, want to grocery shop, cook, clean, etc., so we're not looking for an "apartment" style vacay.
  • For planning purposes about where to stay and eat, can someone help compare Curacao for me to elsewhere we might know in the Caribbean? How would you describe Curacao compared to any of these places?We've been to a lot of the Caribbean before and seen a wide variety of lifestyle, price points, languages, exchange rates, etc. I can't think of where all he, I, or the two of us have been, but some would be Aruba, Beilze, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Bermuda (not really Caribbean, I know), Key West and Key Largo (not sure if those count), the Dominican Republic, various places throughout Mexico and Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Paradise Island, St. Thomas, etc.

Finally, here is where we are looking so far.... Has anyone stayed at: (1) the Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort or (2) Coral Estate Curacao? Would you recommend either of those, or somewhere else?

Where to Dive:

I am going through NAUI OW and AOW coursework prior to this trip. My husband is PADI.
I really want to take a fish identification course and maybe snap some photos, but I probably won't snap photos because I'll still be pretty new.

My husband can handle his own equipment and gear, and has much of it, but he would prefer to have a DM with us/go with a group, since I will be so new overall, and it's our first real trip like this together.

We'll bring our own fins and masks and snorkels, but rent everything else.

My husband has seen a lot of fish and coral--I would love him to see some really cool stuff. He does not deep water dive, and he is not wreck certified. I have seen very little (though I did snorkel with whale sharks, and that was incredible!), so I could probably swim in a circle with 3 fish and be awed, but that won't do it for him.

I've spent hours going through maps and reviews of dive sites on my own through Google and the Curacao diving websites and am losing my mind. Desperate for a short list. Thoughts on where to dive that would be great for both of us/great for divers of different skill levels?

If you made it this far, thank you so very much. I really appreciate any help so I can narrow this down and just lock in on a place and make reservations. I used to be so good at trip planning, but my brain is baby-fried, I swear! Thank you again! :)

Hi Pittsburgh_Mom,

OT: Have you ridden the GAP along the Yaughiogheny River? We loved it!

My wife and I have been to Curacao twice this year. Curacao is great. We stayed at the Sunscape and dived with Ocean Encounters. Sunscape is dated architecturally but clean and well managed. Ocean Encounters is first class and has a satellite location at Sunscape. Considering your experience level, they will take good care of you and your husband.

We stayed at Coral Estates for our second visit. We dived with Coral Divers (on-site) and they were fun, friendly, and professional. Coral Estates is a more upscale and modern facility that is beautiful. The Spa is gorgeous and I enjoyed my first massage with my wife on the table beside me. We had a blast at the pool side bar and restaurant. Nice people. A beautiful experience. I recommend renting a car for this resort. Coral Estates is worth the drive and the expense of the rental car.

We dived with Go West Diving on Curacao and Bonaire. They are a first class operation. Lodging out west is more akin to motel living than resort living. You definitely need a rental car out west.

West is best, east is least, for diving I believe. While there are more "bucket list" type dive sites on the east end, the diving out west is calm and peaceful while the east end is a little choppy for this former professional mariner. Several land-lubbers on the east-end-dives resorted to scopolamine and some skipped a day of diving to get their sea legs back under them. I was about the only diver who could use the head, assemble/disassemble gear no matter the sea-state (I was in my element; not-so-much the rest). Most others were seated and hanging on. The trades blow along the beach.

We dived from moorings on the east end. The diving on the west end was one-way with a dive float. We swam in one direction, and when we hit our 1 hour limit, we surfaced and the boat was waiting for us. That is my type of diving. We did not drift dive as their wasn't a perceived current--it was one-way diving.

One poster seemed to imply that security is an issue. Where we stayed we had no security issues at all. The Dutch know how to entertain and made us feel very welcome.

Next time we go to Curacao, we will stay on the west end and dive with Go West Diving. It is quiet, slower paced, and beautiful.

South of the Airport as you approach town, you will find a splendid super market. Buy some snacks, booze, or food before you go west (if that becomes your decision).

Bonaire and Curacao are definitely on our top 5 list for dive destinations.

Here is a link for our Coral Estates trip report: Our Free Trip Back to Curacao!

Enjoy!
markm

If you do decide on Coral Estates it's fenced with a guard shack - the resort itself is inside a housing development. You'll be driving 15-20 minutes to anything not there though - it's pretty quiet out there.
Thank you so much for your responses. This is really helpful. I am getting the sense that the island is overall pretty safe. That we should keep our heads up as we do when traveling, but not that this is dodgy or super dangerous, and I am glad for that. It'll help to be able to relax for sure with a little less worry. I am checking out all the reviews I can before pulling the trigger. I think we may be leaning towards Lion's Dive, as they are offering some really nice specials for the Curacao Dive Fest--some incredible rates for stuff like breakfast for the week, etc., that look too good to pass up.

Interesting. I wonder if it’s unavailable because it’s actually full, or they slipped their reopening date again.
Ohhh, hmmm... I am not sure. I thought they LOOKED open but said full. I am going to try to investigate further, but it looks like it may have to be for a future trip!

If looking at Lion's Dive, note that if you book on their website they include a free airport shuttle ride which is a nice perk, especially if not renting a car. Note also you can rent a car at Lion's Dive. I would take advantage of the free shuttle. The drive from the airport to LD is a bit tricky. Happy planning.
Thanks! Dive Curacao actually linked me to a specials page, but it was for 7 nights. I emailed them and they still offered us a really nice package with nice dives and food included, too! It looks really good! I really appreciate you pointing that out just in case. I am hoping they are a good experience if we book there... and it looks like we will!

Hi @Pittsburgh_Mom

Though it's been a while, my wife and I had a very good dive vacation in Curacao, without our kids, staying at Lodge Kura Hulanda and using Go West Diving. This is definitely off the beaten path at the far west end of the island. If you want more of the city feel, this would not be the place. I believe the resort can be done AI but there are also some local restaurants and we had a kitchenette. They have the pools, restaurants, beach... You would need a car. Go West Diving is excellent, great west end boat sites including Watamula. They put a DM in the water. The house reef, Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland is quite good with simple navigation

If you consider, make sure you research Lodge Kura Hulanda, as I believe they may have changed ownership around 5 years ago.

Best of luck on your Curacao vacation
Thank you so much!!!! I am not sure that I want a city feel necessarily. Quiet seems great. A DM in the water seems nice, too. I am not sure exactly what a house reef is (super new to this), but I have read about and seen pictures of Playa Kalki and Alice in Wonderland. I am so excited for this trip, wherever we go!

Hi Pittsburgh_Mom,

OT: Have you ridden the GAP along the Yaughiogheny River? We loved it!

My wife and I have been to Curacao twice this year. Curacao is great. We stayed at the Sunscape and dived with Ocean Encounters. Sunscape is dated architecturally but clean and well managed. Ocean Encounters is first class and has a satellite location at Sunscape. Considering your experience level, they will take good care of you and your husband.

We stayed at Coral Estates for our second visit. We dived with Coral Divers (on-site) and they were fun, friendly, and professional. Coral Estates is a more upscale and modern facility that is beautiful. The Spa is gorgeous and I enjoyed my first massage with my wife on the table beside me. We had a blast at the pool side bar and restaurant. Nice people. A beautiful experience. I recommend renting a car for this resort. Coral Estates is worth the drive and the expense of the rental car.

We dived with Go West Diving on Curacao and Bonaire. They are a first class operation. Lodging out west is more akin to motel living than resort living. You definitely need a rental car out west.

West is best, east is least, for diving I believe. While there are more "bucket list" type dive sites on the east end, the diving out west is calm and peaceful while the east end is a little choppy for this former professional mariner. Several land-lubbers on the east-end-dives resorted to scopolamine and some skipped a day of diving to get their sea legs back under them. I was about the only diver who could use the head, assemble/disassemble gear no matter the sea-state (I was in my element; not-so-much the rest). Most others were seated and hanging on. The trades blow along the beach.

We dived from moorings on the east end. The diving on the west end was one-way with a dive float. We swam in one direction, and when we hit our 1 hour limit, we surfaced and the boat was waiting for us. That is my type of diving. We did not drift dive as their wasn't a perceived current--it was one-way diving.

One poster seemed to imply that security is an issue. Where we stayed we had no security issues at all. The Dutch know how to entertain and made us feel very welcome.

Next time we go to Curacao, we will stay on the west end and dive with Go West Diving. It is quiet, slower paced, and beautiful.

South of the Airport as you approach town, you will find a splendid super market. Buy some snacks, booze, or food before you go west (if that becomes your decision).

Bonaire and Curacao are definitely on our top 5 list for dive destinations.

Here is a link for our Coral Estates trip report: Our Free Trip Back to Curacao!

Enjoy!
markm
Yes, we have totally done the Yough! Love our rivers here--but not for diving, LOL!

I loved reading your review that you linked to, and I also super appreciate the insight here! Can you please shed a little insight into what is considered west and east ends of the islands? I guess I would have thought east was literally the other side of the island, but it seems like everything people are talking about and calling east vs west are all pretty closely located. If we wind up at Lion's Dive, can you please tell me how rough the water is there, vs how smooth? I wonder how long it would take to get to some of the places like the Mushroom Forest. Thank you again for your help! :)

It’s a long island that runs roughly east-west. Think of it as east and west ends, not sides. They are not close, it is a drive. An interesting drive during which you would probably be dodging goats.

Lions dive is just east of downtown, I’d call it sort of central. It is not close to Mushroom Forest which is pretty far west; don’t expect a boat from Lions Dive to go there or other sites way out west. If you have a car, driving out west for the day for some diving and sightseeing is worth doing. (If you were leaving on a boat from the Marriott area they might, that is a bit west of town and much closer. Coral Estate is even further west and would dive western sites.)

It’s a long island that runs roughly east-west. Think of it as east and west ends, not sides. They are not close, it is a drive. An interesting drive during which you would probably be dodging goats.

Lions dive is just east of downtown, I’d call it sort of central. It is not close to Mushroom Forest which is pretty far west; don’t expect a boat from Lions Dive to go there or other sites way out west. If you have a car, driving out west for the day for some diving and sightseeing is worth doing. (If you were leaving on a boat from the Marriott area they might, that is a bit west of town and much closer. Coral Estate is even further west and would dive western sites.)
Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much! I was leaning towards Lion's Dive, but my husband is leaning towards Kura Hulanda Lodge for location--quieter, less night life, he thinks, at KH. So I think we may end up at KH instead of Lion's Dive. It looks like there is good diving there (west), and if I am reading right, the waters might be calmer towards the west end (Mushroom Forest, Alice in Wonderland). I think that may be good for my newness in terms of both skill level and sheer awe. :)

A house reef is what it sounds like, an easily accessible shore dive just off the property. Since you seem more interested in LKH - I'll describe theirs. The Lodge sits on a bluff overlooking the water. There's a short walking path down to GoWest which is on the east side of the property. They have a very nice facility. indoor lockers, showers etc. Directly out front is about a 70' long dock with stairs at the end that takes you part of the way out to the house reef. They also keep the boats at a dock 100' away. You can dive both directions but to the west you have to swim past the lodge - there's a lot of flounder there in the shallows so we snorkeled past it. It's really one of the better ones on Curacao, Lions Dive's is not as
good.

I can't speak to recent problems at the Lodge but when we were there they bent over backwards to accommodate us. My friend had some medical issues in their restaurant one night - the mgr. came over and gave us the use of a villa (and bed) while we waited for the ambulance - which he also arranged. And absolutely refused any compensation.

I thought the food was average but the view is pretty great. There's also a little grille at the water level about 50' from the dive dock for a quick lunch.

Sol Foods nearby is a weekend option and Landhuis Misje is nicer. You might need a reservation there - it's not especially upscale but small and crowdeds. We also ate once at Rancho El Sobrino - outdoor dining but just average food.

Westpunt is a small town. I only know of one market in nearby Barber. There are Snaks along the road, usually sodas, alcohol and some pre-packaged food items - some have ice cream. Small family run places though.

Willemstad/the airport is a 45min drive east on the main road that bisects the island.It's not waterfront but faater. The waterfront road is twisty and would take almost double the time. If you plan to do any other western shore dives - they're all off it. Once you get out of town there;s a lack of street signs so bring a map.

If your husband wants quiet at night - Westpunt is the place. Super easy to get there - leave the airport and go right at the rotary - follow the sign for Weg naar Westpunt and stay on it - it's paved and you can go pretty fast.

For any sort of grocery items, one option is Centrum Market - it's the south turn off the airport rotaty (I think it's marked Piscadera) - two traffic lights down and Centrum is on the right. They sell trhowaway coolers for$1 and I believe dry ice.

Back
Top Bottom