Curacao or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to both islands and far prefer bonaire...traveling to ABC since 2006 and still can't get enough!

Wasn't sure where to add this. No problem getting equipment serviced or buying new equipment on Bonaire. Have an issue with my first stage on my regulator and have been told no problem we can fix while you're here. would not think of doing this if going to Curacao but Bonaire have had things fixed before. it truly is a place for divers ! very convenient for most repairs.

Wasn't sure where to add this. No problem getting equipment serviced or buying new equipment on Bonaire. Have an issue with my first stage on my regulator and have been told no problem we can fix while you're here. would not think of doing this if going to Curacao but Bonaire have had things fixed before. it truly is a place for divers ! very convenient for most repairs.

I have been to both islands and I think both are great, but I am curious why you would not think of buying or having dive equipment repaired on Curacao. There are authorized dealers and authorized service and repair for Atomic Aquatics, Scubapro, Aqualung, Mares and most other major equipment lines there.

I have never used any of them, but I know they are there and could sell or service scuba gear if needed. One shop I know of (but have never used) supposedly can provide same day service on reg repair and offers a 2 month warranty on their work.

I assume if I had a reg failure I could rent or borrow a reg while mine was being serviced that day, or I could perhaps hang around while the work was being done. I am sure the same thing can be done on Bonaire.

I would not use the availability of equipment repair sway me one way or the other between these two islands and would suggest picking one for "this" trip (either one) and then next time go to the other.

Last edited:
Chauncy, we've had things repaired on both islands. If you run into any problems here, please let me know and we can help find the right person to repair your equipment. I thought I had a faulty hose and went for a replacement only to find I needed a new o-ring, Thanks Ruud at Scuba Store and More on Curacao for saving me money and (more important to me....) time. Usually it's an errant gain of sand that finds it's way where it's not welcomed....
There is also a lot of business between the islands.... when a guest wanted a new computer, Ruud ordered it from a store in Bonaire who put it on the afternoon plane. How great was that!
Some places "you've got to know where they are" but John is right, don't let the worry of repairs keep you from either island, both are fantastic dive destinations. There is a small issue that Westpunt (in Curacao) is a half hour drive from town.

issue for me is that everything on Bonaire is much more compact and also very diving oriented. Bruce at Carib Inn has fixed things very quickly for me in the past. Told many times on Bonaire no need to have things (regulators etc) serviced off island as they can do it if necessary and quickly on island. this i am told is "nuts" if I am on Curacao. I'd be in westpunt on Curacao far from most shops (close to Sunshine) and they may not service my equipment or have parts. I am not saying they won't help in a pinch but I don't think you would ever be told not to service something before you came to Curacao. It just one thing I found to be different about the islands. your results could differ. its not a deal breaker for me just something to be aware of. I have very vanilla equipment so that might be a factor too.

Bonaire.

BTW, FYI, FWIW...it's pronounced Bow (as in Bow and Arrow) nair. (as in air with a N in front)

A lot of ignorant Americans pronounce it Bon (rhyming with John) air. Makes them sound stupid.

<that is all...please carry on>

LMAO! That's too funny.

PH

issue for me is that everything on Bonaire is much more compact and also very diving oriented. Bruce at Carib Inn has fixed things very quickly for me in the past. Told many times on Bonaire no need to have things (regulators etc) serviced off island as they can do it if necessary and quickly on island. this i am told is "nuts" if I am on Curacao. I'd be in westpunt on Curacao far from most shops (close to Sunshine) and they may not service my equipment or have parts. I am not saying they won't help in a pinch but I don't think you would ever be told not to service something before you came to Curacao. It just one thing I found to be different about the islands. your results could differ. its not a deal breaker for me just something to be aware of. I have very vanilla equipment so that might be a factor too.

Westpunt is a bit out-of-the-way if you need to go to a scuba repair shop, but on the other hand, the closest shops to me at home are 20 minutes and 35 minutes away from home, so it would be a drive either way, but I would not want to plan on spending part of a dive trip getting gear serviced. Personally, I would always have any service done before I left, and then test the gear (even if just in a pool) before a trip anyway.

I have never met Bruce Bowker, but have always heard good things about him and its great that there are good choices for gear purchase and repair on both islands. I agree, if you were staying at or near the Carib Inn, it would be very convenient to have that on-site repair facility, if it was needed.

Overall, Bonaire diving is more "compact" and everything is closer, including restaurants. That has both its positives and negatives. I really should get back to Bonaire one of these days.

Bonaire.

BTW, FYI, FWIW...it's pronounced Bow (as in Bow and Arrow) nair. (as in air with a N in front)

A lot of ignorant Americans pronounce it Bon (rhyming with John) air. Makes them sound stupid.

<that is all...please carry on>

I hate to beat a dead horse as well as hijack an interesting thread. But I have to disagree with this post. Having been on 4 separate occasions to the island and with a keen interest in language in general. The only folks I have witnessed pronouncing it "Bow-Nair" are Americans. I realize that in Papiamento the o sound is a long O. However I have heard it both ways with a long O as well as "ah" from locals. The first syllabel is usally quite short compared to the second when spoken by locals. It leaves me wondering if the above post is a troll and the poster is trying to trick the readers and make them look like "ignorant Americans". Here is a link to its pronunciation as per dictionary.com : Bonaire | Define Bonaire at Dictionary.com

Was planning a short 5 day trip to Curacao or Bonaire in June. I will be going from St Martin. Which island (Curacao or Bonaire) would be best for short dive trip as far as beach dives, ease of access and a relaxed stay?

Thanks

Bon-air without a doubt. Easy access is what it's all about. Cure-a-cow takes a bit more work. Hopping from Saint Mar-tine I'm guessing you'll probably end up in Cure-a-cow first, so if that matters it could be a factor. Trying to plan another dive trip myself, stuck thinking about Coz-a-mell, Island of Moo-hairy, or Bon-air myself.

Back
Top Bottom