Curacao or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was planning a short 5 day trip to Curacao or Bonaire in June. I will be going from St Martin. Which island (Curacao or Bonaire) would be best for short dive trip as far as beach dives, ease of access and a relaxed stay?

Thanks

I am not answering your question - just making a suggestion.

Why not go to Saba for those five days. Very good diving and a different
experience. No beaches what so ever though!

You can see Saba from St. Martin - So you can take the ferry or Winair over and back.

Sea Saba can work up a package for you with lodging and diving

Was planning a short 5 day trip to Curacao or Bonaire in June. I will be going from St Martin. Which island (Curacao or Bonaire) would be best for short dive trip as far as beach dives, ease of access and a relaxed stay?

Thanks

Bonaire is best for pure diving access/freedom. Diving is the island's raison d'être, so you can pretty much dive anywhere, any time. You literally would not look out of place walking into a restaurant with your gear on.

That said, Curacao is fine and has great diving too- pretty much the same type of diving - but it's not the island's sole focus. It's a larger island, more spread out. Dive sites are further apart. Several of the islands best known sites are boat dive sites.

My wife I think sums the difference up best:

Bonaire is where divers go to vacation.
Curacao is where vacationers go to dive.

If it were me, I'd figure out which of the two islands was easiest/cheapest to get to and stay... and go there. All things equal, I'd do Bonaire.

Some people prefer Curacao and others prefer Bonaire. Personally I prefer Curacao (and I consider myself "a diver going to vacation." :wink:
But for 5 days travel becomes a bigger part of things so I'd be inclined to do whichever is easiest and cheapest to get to. Just look up the flights and see. Since you're already in St Martin, Saba is a great idea (and what I would do), but not for shore diving.

Shore diving is great both places, though there are more accommodations in Bonaire with good shore diving on site. Driving between sites in Curacao is not quite as quick and convenient as in Bonaire but I think the reward is a bit more variety in the sites. More to do and many more restaurants in Curacao, though if you're diving focused for a short trip you might not care. Flip side, probably easier to get a handle on Bonaire in a short trip.

As far as relaxing, some people accuse Curacao of being too built up and busy, but that's because they didn't get away from town. Get away from town and you'll be closer to the better diving and have an atmosphere more like Bonaire (though that does put you further away from aforementioned restaurants and stuff.)

If you mean ease of access from St. Maarten - I'd guess that just about every flight on Insel to Bonaire goes through Curacao first. Probably DAE also. So you might want to look at connection times.

One other difference is the entries. On Bonaire a lot of them are over rough ironshore and coral rubble - both on and just off the beach. On Curacao the reef starts farther out so many of the entries are a sandy beach - some even in a protected cove - with a short swim out. Many of the Curacao sites also have an on-site diveop for tank rentals etc. On Bonaire there are no facilities anywhere outside of the dive resorts house dives - some of which are named dive sites. You can see the entry differences here - most w/photos: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm

I also thought the diversity was better on Curacao - on Bonaire many of the sites seemed very similar - many of them - esp. to the south - are 500 yds. apart.

The flipside is you can do more shore dives on Bonaire per day. We tried but only managed to do 4 dives twice during a week on Curacao - Bonaire could easily have been every day if desired. Mostly the issue with Curacao - esp. out west - is that almost every site requires a short drive back to the main road from the water then back at the next location. South of Kralendijk on Bonaire just about all the sites are 100 yds. from the main road.

Hi,

Curacao is where we operate. Smaal groups going to some nice spots on the Island. Even some spots where other divers don't come. So that means unspoiled sites. Most of our sites are shore and if it's not possible from shore we can always use the boat.
If you're interested let us know. We have a pick-up service and special packages. Let us know where you are going to stay because we can also recommend some apartments or hotels.

We wish you happy planning and let us know if we can be of any help.

Bonaire.

BTW, FYI, FWIW...it's pronounced Bow (as in Bow and Arrow) nair. (as in air with a N in front)

A lot of ignorant Americans pronounce it Bon (rhyming with John) air. Makes them sound stupid.

<that is all...please carry on>

slackercruster,
both Curacao and Bonaire are great for diving. I'd go with which ever is easier. Curacao I am guessing will be easier to get to. I stayed at All West Apartments. highly recommend the place and the diving but restaurants are few in the area. diving is easy and great right at ALL West.
Bonaire is more compact with good diving and good food easily within reach. But its getting extremely hard to get to atleast for me .
I am definitely into relaxed living and easy diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom