Curacao or Bonaire for dive honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been to Bonaire four times, and have just returned from our fifth trip to Curacao. While Bonaire definitely has its charm, if you are fairly new to diving and would want to do other activities while on holidays I would recommend Curacao. We have stayed at both Habitat Curacao (30 minutes from town, rather isolated on the coast) and Lions Dive which is much more central. There is a myriad other things you can do in Curacao after diving: the Seaquarium, many public sandy beaches with all the amenities, the Curacao liquor factory, the shopping centres of Punda (world heritage site) and so on. Diving in both places is excellent. You really couldn't go wrong with either island.

Congrats on your impending marriage--may you have MANY happy and wonderful years together! :)

Now, as someone who just got back from her own honeymoon (and did MUCH research beforehand for the ultimate romantic vacation), and someone who has been to both Bonaire and Curacao, Curacao would win hands-down for a honeymoon. I LOVE Bonaire but I am a hard-core diver and am not a partier so the fact that the town rolls up its sidewalks early doesn't bother me. I also love shore diving--my husband and I are photographers and love the freedom.

However, (and this is not a statement re. your diving ability but you said you're not sure about shore diving), since you are a newer diver and your partner will be a complete newbie, you can't go wrong by staying at one of the resorts on Curacao and just diving with their on-site op. There are many nice places to stay, but my personal recommendation would be Sunset Waters. I have stayed there twice and would HIGHLY recommend it for a honeymoon-type vacation. Not only is the on-site dive op, Sunset Divers, fantastic and will take VERY good care of you, but Jim and Gaynor, the owners of Sunset Waters will bend over backwards to give you the best vacation of your lives. I know they do special honeymoon packages too, and they will arrange romantic dinners on the beach, massages, etc, for you. Plus, Sunset Waters has a wonderful beach area, including, as Gaynor so delicately puts it, a special area for the "nudies". LOL

Resort aside, Curacao has so much more going on--there are fantastic restaurants and shopping in town, the museum is a must-see and there are tons of non-diving activities. Plus there are a few fun nightclubs, if you in the mood to dance the night away. Mambo Beach is the best--right on the beach, the restaurant is FANTASTIC and I think on Tuesdays they have movie night on the beach with beach beds! Then after midnight, it turns into one of the most hoppin' clubs on the island.

Really, I can't rave enough about the place, just go--you won't be sorry. Congrats again! :)

I've stayed with Cpt Don's a couple of times on Bonaire and once with Habitat on Curacao. Much preferred Bonaire in just about every way. The diving was incredibly easy - perfect for novice divers. Ideally you'd be better off splurging for a resort like Cpt Don's. It's very laid back, very easy. No worrying about driving around, renting gear, etc. Everything is right there. I found that the shore dives and boat dives were pretty similar so no real need to do boat dives unless you're going to the wreck. Try some night dives or night snorkeling at the very least. Go horseback riding. Rent a jeep and drive through the park and around the island. Of all the Caribbean islands I've been to (Caymans, Tobago, Curacao, Virgins, St Eustatius, Bahamas) Bonaire stands out as the very best experience.

We had a car on Curacao and found almost nothing outside the resort that was worth the drive (aside from the park and horseback riding). Some of the historic places they listed in their tourist literature didn't seem to exist and others were trashed and scary. Some recommended beaches were far from the resort and required an entrance fee. This is just my impression from one trip a while back but it really soured me to Curacao. Other people seem to like it but I'll never go back.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon on Bonaire in December 2005. We both went down with around 30 dives under our belts. We stayed at Buddy Dive and did our advanced certification there. I was also a little nervous about shore diving alone but after spending some time in the water during the advance certification dives, my wife and I were both very comfortable with the shore diving.

Also, most of the resorts have house reefs that are very easily accessible and great places to build up some confidence. We ended up doing about 35 dives there over ten days and had a great time. The dive and drive packages are reasonable and we felt safe diving and driving on the island.

As far as food goes, we at breakfast at Buddy Dive, picked up lunch stuff at the supermarket, and tried out many of the restaurants for dinner. The food in general was good, although I am not that picky.

I have not been to Curacao but I am sure you will have fun at either location.

We just returned from 2 weeks in Bonaire. We have been snorkelers for 10 years . we went to bonaire specifically to get certified. It was wonderful. After the 4 day PADI open water course, we were able to easily shore dive by ourselves and also found plenty of other dive buddies if we wanted company. Bonaire is wonderful for diving. Not much nightlife or other activitiesbut diving is super.
Vann Evans

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom