Curacao in 29 days!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No pain now, but he did have pain with movement earlier. It is defintely awkward.

It was not a bad break, just a bad bone to break. Known for slow healing. He could be in the cast up to 12 weeks.

I have him trying on a shorty and a BC today to see what we can do.

Brantley is a real trooper and hopefully we can work through it.

Fortunately we have some time before there are penalties to figure it all out.

If we go, I do think his camera usage will be severely limited.

I've traveled the Caribbean a bit having been to Curacao in 2008 and it's sister island Bonaire 9 times in the last 5 years. The diving is similar at both islands and they've taken a pretty good hammering two years ago from off shore storms and the resulting wave action. This has some serious damage to most corals and sponges down to 30' or so. Most of the shallows were devastated and are mostly rubble.

I just came back from Curacao and also stayed at Kura Hulanda. Please be aware of certain facts. Take bug juice. The skeeters are very active and there are lots of them. The lodge is OK by my standards, but a bit spread out and the rooms were too small. There is lots of foliage and flowers. So much so that even the ocean view rooms don't have much of an ocean view. The pool is decent and the temperture is about 90 degrees F. Food is good, but way way overpriced ($21 for standard breakfast buffet). Sol Food is not only a better choice but almost the only other choice. Don't bother with Rancho down the road. Stay with Sol Food. Just for Sunshine's benefit I'd also add that when you eat there you will not go away hungry for food---or conversation. Man, can that woman talk!!!

Ocean temp is just about 84 degrees F and viz averages 60' to 80'. The reefs were quite a disappointment to me, especially the house reef. They can't help what mother nature has done, but there was very little marine life compared with what I'm used to seeing. Right around the corner is Neptune reef, clearly the best reef on their itinerary for marine life (watch for the turtles). This also makes for very nice night dive, much better than the house reef. Most of the action and life is above 50' after dark so no need to go deep. Mushroom Forest and Watamula are two famous dive sites there. Not what they were a few years ago, but the coral and terrain itself make them interesting; just not much in the way of critters. Maybe it'll change by the time you get there.

The dive op is a good one with Amy, Derk, Robert, and Jarrod leading you. They go very slow so you can take your time and look for little critters. There will be a dive mater at the front and one following to watch stragglers. Their breefings are thorough so listen to them. They sign you in each day and then do a roll call as the boat leaves the dock and again after each dive---no divers left behind. Most dives are very close to land so getting lost is not an issue. If you plan to do a night dive you'll have to arrange for tanks before the shop closes at 5:00. If you are taking your own gear there are lockers and they are secure (locks are supplied).

For what you are doing I don't know if I'd bother renting a truck. Shore diving other locations can be done, but there is a lot of driving to get to them and the roads aren't marked very well. Having been both places I'd say if you want to shore dive then go to Bonaire, hands down. If you want to go to town then tae the shuttle on an off day. Besides, driving around town can be pure hell when compared to the states unless you know where you're going, which you don't.

That should suffice for now. PM me if you have any questions in particular.

Last edited:
I've been here two days now, and having been to Bonaire prior to the hurricane, yes the reefs here have taken some damage in the shallows but aren't hammered that bad. Still lots of life, sponges are definitely sparse. The house reef in front of the lodge is Ok ( we're staying at All West ). Sunshine and Sol are a must do, great pizza and my wife says the brownie ice cream desert is "to die for".

Curacao Sunshine,
Sent you a PM! Let me know if you received it!
Thanks.

-James

What are the usual depths around Willemstad? I will be doing boat dives with ocean encounters.

What are the usual depths around Willemstad? I will be doing boat dives with ocean encounters.

Most of the dives I did with them last week were fairly shallow. Although they didn't mandate a particular depth limit they did suggest maximum depths of about 55-60', which seemed reasonable since most marine life is above that. There were a few times and situations (video shots) where I dropped into about 75', but these were few and far between.

One thing I did notice is that Ocean Encounters do a very good job in promoting safety which I must commend them for. They set a pace that a nudibranch could keep up with which gives divers time to enjoy looking around. If I had one complaint it would be one particular dive on Watamula where our DM misread the current and we ended up swimming against the current the whole time when the primary plan was to do a drift dive. Were I the DM I would have reversed course and let everybody DRIFT with the boat following the surface marker accordingly.

Are you staying near town or at the western end of the island?
The respons from bfischer is about Ocean Encounters West at Westpunt. We mostly start at 50-70 feet, with sometimes a deepdive. The second part of the dive is shallower at 40 feet.

I will be going out of the shop at the Breezes. I don't mind deep dives, I was just wondering if I should bring a 2nd computer with me for doing deeper dives. Or just keep it simple with 1 computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom