Cultural Aspects of Diving in Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you describe is the very same situation we had in Italy prior of 1980, when American agencies (PADI), and shop-based for profit diving landed here...

What you describe is the very same situation we had in Italy prior of 1980, when American agencies (PADI), and shop-based for profit diving landed here...

CMAS is quite active here in Korea

Having logged more dive time in South Korea since writing this article, I found it interesting how many Korean recreational divers are fully decked out for tech diving. I would say that most divers that I encountered who owned their own gear were sporting backplate and wing BCDs with tech set ups for their primary and alternate second stages. Rather than having an alternate breathing station at the surface on deep dives, many of the instructor/guides have dual tanks and/or rebreathers and let others breath off of that if anyone gets low on air during a safety stop.

Interesting read, the Middle East was very similar years ago. Not so much now, but the dive club mentality I feel is something that is being lost and I feel thats a sad thing.

Interesting read, the Middle East was very similar years ago. Not so much now, but the dive club mentality I feel is something that is being lost and I feel thats a sad thing.
I was a member of two BSAC clubs in Saudi back in the 80s and 90s with the Jeddah one based out of the National Guard Hospital being the more active of the two (the other being in Riyadh and more of a drinking club).

Certainly a great way to dive with more experienced divers and expand a novice diver's experience, but clubs come with their own negative points too, like "split off" groups, snobbery and elitism to name but a few, which I dislike.

I was a member of two BSAC clubs in Saudi back in the 80s and 90s with the Jeddah one based out of the National Guard Hospital being the more active of the two (the other being in Riyadh and more of a drinking club).

Certainly a great way to dive with more experienced divers and expand a novice diver's experience, but clubs come with their own negative points too, like "split off" groups, snobbery and elitism to name but a few, which I dislike.
Your not wrong on the elitism and snobbery, its why I left BSAC in Qatar 16 years ago. But rejoining as its a new bunch who seem a lot less twatish...will see how the 6 month pans out lol

Probably more forgiven to foreigner.

I have been to the country few times. And on my only extended travelling for few wks(1988) I found the people extremely polite.

Clubs are pretty common here as Korea culturally has a social club mentality, and the boat operators usually need a set number of people to run. Diving with your club usually guarantees getting enough people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom