Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 007

New
Reaction score
i'm off to cuba in june, the Iberostar Daiquiri in Cayo Guillermo to be exact, and a few days in Havana.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help info about the diving, dive centres, place, people... well anything really

thanks everyone!!!

:help: :mrcool:

There is thread HERE with a summary of the article on Cuba diving in Feb's DIVE magazine. Also a link there to another Cuba thread containing info on the Cuba section of The Thorn Tree

Cheers,

K.

Maria La Gorda, about 5-6 hours from Havana. Awesome wall diving, tunnels, etc. Pristine untouched reefs, barracuda, moray, fan coral. Caveat: I would bring your own regulator (or even better yet a whole rig), thier stuff was pretty sketchy for the most part. I paid 150 bucks for 5 dives over 3 days. There is just one place to stay, here is thier email address. yovany <mariam@princesa.pri.sld.cu>. Don't book from a travel agency cause you'll overpay. Just email them and reserve a room, I think it was about 40 bucks/night incl. breakfast. Watch out for the sandflies!

Ah those of you from anywhere outside the States are fortunate that trips to Cuba are relatively easy. I sure hope our government's irrational policies are finally ended so I can easily do the same. Enjoy and share your experiences with the rest of us.

Dr. Bill

I'm biding my time - sooner or later Castro won't wake up one morning and things will take a dramatic chage. I'll be moving my computer biz down there and maybe a dive shop to! :)

Third to Funky and TV - Maria la Gorda is simply the most beautiful water ever. Absolutely stunning blue on blue - fish and coral and terrain. Second Funky's assessment of their equipment - pretty raggy. I had a reg that free flowed and was shown by the DM how to bang it to get it to stop. One might think they'd wanna put the thing in the shop, but not interested. Had a BC that leaked air in so I was constantly going up - same DM told me I should disconnect the low pressure line. Put the BC in the shop? No way! My wife's pressure gauge had its needle fall off. That didn't get put into the shop, either. Pretty lackadaisical about upkeep and the running of the shop was a poor joke - they could not in 5 days of diving get it through their heads who had what kind of package. I've never seen a business op so goofily run.

But I'd go again in a minute b/c it's the most beautiful place in the Carib I've seen. Viz, fish, water, sun, sand,... ooh la la!
=Terry

Sorry for the new nick, but I can't access my home email from here. Here's an update:

If you are planning on a dive vacation, DO NOT GO TO THE IBEROSTAR DAIQUIRI. It is now my 6th day here and I have yet to go on a dive. The company I booked with *cuba divers.com(. have not gone out once in the time that I have been here. Everyday they must ask permission from a government official and then ask permission from their captain to go out. The lamest excuses come up: One day it was drizzling rain so the captain said he wouldn't be able to see the diver's bubbles. 3 other days were cancelled because the gov''t official said it was too windy . The bottom line is that it would be a waste of money to come here and plan to dive. People I've met here have stayed an entire 2 weeks and not done one dive yet.

The south side of Cuba is definitely the place to be. Don't go near the north if you want to dive.

On an additional note: If you've stayed at any Iberostar's worldwide, you may be dissapointed by the Daiquiri. I went 12 hours with out a beach towel, and every where you go their hand is in your face for a tip.

Frankly, I''d rate this place 2 srtars.

Back
Top Bottom