Cuba in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianMac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am headed off for a family vacation to the 'Trip' Cao Coco in CUBA. This resort is not listed as a dive resort, has anyone ever been there and if so is there any diving outfitters there or close by and....'how is the diving'. Any help would be appreciated.
Brian

Tamas

Thanx for the correction, your right on the spelling. I'll take a look.

Brian

Always wondered what diving might be like in Cuba. Since US citizen can't go there I may never know. Maybe Obama can open Cuba when he's working his miracles and bringing peace to the world. Then I could dive there too!

Always wondered what diving might be like in Cuba. Since US citizen can't go there I may never know. Maybe Obama can open Cuba when he's working his miracles and bringing peace to the world. Then I could dive there too!

What is it like? Its decent, not stellar, its warm with some fish/coral.....etc. It is better than any cold water quarry but not like Egypt/Bonaire/Bahamas. I was not too impressed by the diving we did in Santiago De Cuba area last march....but then again maybe I am spoiled by the other stuff I have seen.

Would I ever drag my dive gear to Cuba again? No, its not worth the work/hassle for that.
Would/will I ever go back - you bet, for a vacation.

Overall, it is nice, relaxing and a good dive. :D

Thanks Tamas. One is always going to be curious about a place they are barred from, and with all the great diving in most of the rest of the Caribbean I was hoping Cuba might be the next great "undiscovered". Oh well, I had to ask.

Thanx for the response guys, I will let you know what my opinion (as much as its worth) abot Cuba. I do most of my diving in lake Ontario and area but I did some in Roatan in Feb of 08 and that was a treat. I was wondering about gear like tanks etc. I have everything and will be taking my own gear less tanks and weights, nice to not have to drag the wet suit and the like along. Also wondering abot air fill quality?

As far as being barred from Cuba I understand the origional reason for the sanctions against Cuba from the 60's but since russia and the US are so buddy buddy now you would have thought that all the issus would have been worked out, I guess old fears lie deep, but then this is not the place to discuss polatics is it.

Take care, safe diving
Brian

Thanx for the response guys, I will let you know what my opinion (as much as its worth) abot Cuba. I do most of my diving in lake Ontario and area but I did some in Roatan in Feb of 08 and that was a treat. I was wondering about gear like tanks etc. I have everything and will be taking my own gear less tanks and weights, nice to not have to drag the wet suit and the like along. Also wondering abot air fill quality?

As far as being barred from Cuba I understand the origional reason for the sanctions against Cuba from the 60's but since russia and the US are so buddy buddy now you would have thought that all the issus would have been worked out, I guess old fears lie deep, but then this is not the place to discuss polatics is it.

Take care, safe diving
Brian

We had no issues with air fills, where we were Nitrox was not an option. Dove with LP95s that were pumped to a nice 3000psi - so air supply was not an issue. Our tanks were also brand new, but the dive master at the resorts said that the tanks prior were just horrific - circa 20-30 years old. This resort also had a brand spanking new compressor - the paint was still wet, that new :D

Check it - put a white t-shirt in front of the nozzle, crack it open a bit and if you see any rust residue, grab another :)

Not wanting to talk about politics, there is a lot more at play than what you wrote.....but this is not the place for it.

Brian

Dove in Veradero with Beaches 4 years ago. It was ok. Some sea fans, some fish. not much else.

The dives at Bay of Pigs were much better. Nice colorful coral growth, especially some long rods (but not like the really long sea whips I saw in Kending, Taiwan).

I heard the diving at Cayo Coco is also so so (ha, that's 3 so's). But you can let us know after your trip.

No matter what, it sure beats diving in Lake Ontario. Noticed you are from Napanee. What's the secret of you guys producing so many big boys who play such good (fastpitch) softball, with so many good pitchers. For those who don't know, Napanee is a tiny town. But the Napanee boys, from across many age divisions, have been a dominant force in the Ontario provincials (at the highest, rep level) for many years. I'd like to get the same feed, of those big farmboys, for our small kids in the urban Toronto area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom