$CUBA Diving Price$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver:
How is it helpful to take AOW training after only a few dives? Isn't a diver supposed to have at least 50 dives in his log before attempting AOW training? I'm pretty sure there's a purpose for that.

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps it depends on the agency but the only prerequisite I know of for PADI is: "Must be a PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization) and 15 years old (12 for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver)" from PADI.com.

As far as I'm concerned, AOW is just supervised OW diving that slightly pushes the boundaries of OW and helps to reinforce OW skills. One reason I suggest AOW is because it will give both the diver and the charter boats enough confidence in the diver's skills to allow them to hit the 70' wrecks.

Any OW diver can put themselves in situations where they can make a ton of mistakes and get themselves into trouble. I don't really think OW reinforces enough of the skills taught and once a diver checks out, they have a good chance of forgetting the important parts. A direct injection into AOW, IMHO, reinforces them.

Bobby

ssi i think is the only one that requires a certain amount of experience.... but I'm a newbie... so I could be very wrong !

To learn to dive and get your “C” card figure about $600 to $900.00 “soup to nuts”. This is per person in a group lesson situation. That’s everything - books, pool work, classroom instruction, personal equipment (mask, snorkel, fins, booties), equipment rental, O/W dives, “C” card. If you do private lessons, it will be more.

Allow some time to get certified. Some Ads promis that you can learn in a weekend or learn to SCUBA over the internet, or learn to SCUBA for $99. Not a good idea. See what’s offered for that price or that timeframe – it’s not much. It’s to get you in then you’ll be hit with the same expenses/prices as I’ve listed above. It will take you at least 4 days to a week, with an Instructor. If you look at some of the old threads on this board, you will see this type of approach discarded. You need time in the pool working on your “skills” to feel confident. You need the interaction with your Instructor to gain his or her insights into diving – more than you can get from just a book. After this, you will need two days of open water diving before a certification card is issued (min. of 4 or 5 O/Wdives).

With approx. $10K to spend you can buy lots of really nice “stuff”, get your certification, have a nice vacation and still have money left over. Your first step is think of how you and your family will want to dive.

I am a big proponent of learning to dive locally. Divers who do, tend to dive more often because the water is right there (so to speak) and they are comfortable in it. The problem is diving in the Northeast. will be in cold, dark water. You will need lots of thermal protection, hence, lots of lead weight. If you dive in the ocean then you will face currents and everything is brown. If you think you will be into wreck diving or looking for lobsters or spear fishing then definitely learn to dive locally. If you learn to dive in the North Atlantic, you will be able to dive anywhere. I loved it and dove it for 12 years and am proud to be considered a New Jersey wreck diver! But, this is not for all people and I understand.

If you think you and your family would only dive a few times a year at some sunny, warm resort with lots of pretty fish then – find a nice Island (Grand Cayman is great! – but, there’s lots and lots of other great islands), or go to the Florida Keys, contact a few dive shops and ask about their course – how much, how long, what’s included, experience of their Instructors, how much pool time, etc. and pack the family and go. In a week you’ll be certified and have a few extra dives in as well, plus lots of on-land-time to do other things.

Or, you can do a combination of the two. Do the pool and classroom work in Mass. and get a referrel to some place warm. Not a bad option.

Now, for buying “stuff” – outside of mask, snorkel, fins, booties, mesh bag to carry your new found treasures – that should be it for awhile at least. See how you like your new found sport. See how much you are diving. You can rent a lot of “stuff” for many, many trips before it pays to buy. Now, when you rent you may not be getting the “best” “stuff” but it will be ok. You’ll be exposed to other divers who have their own “stuff” and you might see something you like. Or keep researching. Look at some of the comments about equipment that are posted on this board from time to time. Just remember, we all have our brands that we love to love or hate.

I’m sure you’ll get many more comments. I wish you well in your search and see you on the bottom sometime soon!

I'd have to recheck my SSI training book, but I think that they do require a certain amount of logged dives before AOW. Guess that's just a difference between PADI and SSI.

Do your local training. New England Water is perfecectly comfortable for the rest of the season. The conditions are a bit more demanding but you will then be trained and acclimated to dive your home waters. After that the world is your oyster.

Training costs vary but $300. is a fair budget number. With 3 students you may be able to "create" a class and be instructed as a private group.

I'd plan on closer to $1500 (+-$250) each for BC, regulator set with analog instrumants, Basic gear and exposure protection.

That still leaves a lot for air, gas and tolls.

Have a blast!

Pete

Go to your LDS and try on gear and see what fits... then check out divers supply and scubatoys online, they have some good deals on BC and reg packages (several of them for around $600) that leaves you with your mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit to buy. You cold probably get completely set up for about $1000 a person.

Let's cut to the chase:

Here are links to the instruction pages of two very professional Boston area shops. Either one would be fine for you. Either one would be very happy to discuss all your questions about training and equipment costs.

East Coast Divers (Brookline and Framingham)
www.ecdivers.com/instruction/basic.html

PG Dive (Newton)
www.pgdive.com/InstructionLearnToScubaDive.htm

I trained locally (mid-January, actually) two years ago with the idea that scuba would be fun when I'm in warm water. It is--it's great in warm water--but you'll also see me off Cape Ann, MA every chance I get. Enjoy!

Thanks guys! I know its a long shot, but does anyone know Tom from Mass Divers in Natick? He was my science teacher last year (Best course all year :wink:)and mentioned being a PADI Instuctor to us. Always slipping subliminal diving messages into lectures..

By the way, thanks a lot to all of ya... Pretty sweet beign able to learn so much from people who would otherwise be complete strangers.

I second joeabroad's mention of PG Dive in Newton! If they are within 15 miles of where you live/work then you should definitely stop by the shop sometime and talk to either Paul or Genevieve (the P & G in PG Dive)!

I took my original OW course through Mass Diving in Natick (a haul from Waltham) and while they were OK, I wasn't thrilled with their 6 to 1 student/instructor ratio and their lack of advice when having some difficulties with basic skills. But I never met Tom either....

PG Dive has been my new LDS for the past month and a half and I've been nothing but happy with the instruction, advice, and general customer service from them. They are a smaller shop than Mass Diving, but I think thats why they give a lot of personal attention to their customers. They made finishing my OW certification a snap, their class sizes have been small (they won't do more than 4 students per instructor) and the instructors I've had so far (Genevieve, Jenn) have had great attitudes, offered excellent advice and positive reinforcement when due.

I still rent my tanks/weights, but I hear they offer free air fills which is a nice deal. Every Saturday during the normal dive season they have a complimentary BBQ back at the dive shop to just kick back and relax after a day of diving and enjoy a soda or beer! This past Sat after coming back from some dives towards my AOW, I had a great time hanging out with everyone in the yard at the dive shop, meeting other divers and talking diving (I'm generally new to scuba diving and don't know anyone else who dives, so any opportunity to meet other divers and socialize is great for me).

In my opinion this shows how smart Paul & Genevieve are - they know how to cultivate their relationships with their customers. I plan on continuing as much of my diving education with them as I can and buying most of my equipment from their shop (The Oceanic regs I bought last month from them have been fabulous to dive with).

So, if they aren't that far away from you, I'd suggest giving them a checkout.

Ok, I crunched a few numbers for you for doing your stuff in the keys....

Looks like you can get a spot for the motorhome at the Sugarloaf KOA for about $600/week in July (after the 4th).

Four full certifications will cost you around $1500-2000 including books, classroom, boat rides and rental gear (bcds and regs).

You really don't need to spend more than $300 for personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit).

So, by my calculations, you can spend a week and get everything you need down here for around $4000 pretty easily. That leaves $1500 per person for the rest of your gear after certification when you decide you love it and want to buy all your own stuff.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom