Cuba-din inserts, what else to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Viva Cuba!!! It looks like it is going to happen! Our dive travel group will be going to Cuba in the Fall. I'm 50, and the youngest in our group by several years but all are in good enough shape that diving, boats, mobility is not an issue.

At DEMA, I was told that carrying the DIN to Yoke conversion inserts would be a good idea as most of Cuba dive Din regs. Most of us will travel with our own gear. So my question is- Should I plan on carrying 16 of these for the group, or just a few? Also, anything else that you would take to Cuba?

Dive Gear Express has them for $4 with extra orings. Northeast Scuba Supply has them used for $4 each.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Have you asked at the dive shop you will be using? In Cayo Largo, Cuba there was always enough yoke tanks, although occasionally, if the boat was full, they would need to move an adapter from a used tank to a full one between dives.

New inserts on older tanks can be problematic, especially if the tanks aren't totally round anymore. In theory, if the DIN reg can go on then the insert should as well, but that has not always been my experience.

Second the o-rings depending on what area of Cuba you're going to and who you're diving with. Their tanks seem to blow o-rings quite often.

I prefer to take all of my own equipment minus tanks and weights of course.

Again, depending on where you're staying, basic spices are something they have a hard time getting other than the best liveaboards/resorts. You might want to take some little packages or shakers of your favourite spices/condiments. The cooks are quite used to people handing them some spices to add to their food.

If you have the opportunity, venture out to a paladar, a home restaurant. They make delicious food and it costs only about $Cdn 6-8 for two people.

The nicest things you could take are things they have a hard time getting, like infant/children's fever medication, infant/children's clothing, small toys, electronics, (even little hotel) shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. They really appreciate any of these types of items.

Have a great time! :)

Back
Top Bottom