Cssp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachbum70635

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry that a LA diver butted into ya'lls forum, but what are the conditions at CSSP as of today? I know that it's posted on their website, but sometimes that can be misleading.
Thanks Scot

You're not butting into our forum. You're welcome to post here anytime you feel like it. Not only that, come on over and dive with us! We'd love to have you. :)

As for conditions today, I couldn't say for sure. I'm not getting to dive today (or this weekend, for that matter), but maybe if one of the Swampers goes out there today, they can post the temps.

Upper 60's to mid-70's down to 23' thermocline, then steadily chilling down to upper 50's at depth (50-55'). That's about normal give or take a few degrees.

I can get actual readings for you this weekend, but I don't think temp gauges are very precise.

Texass:
Upper 60's to mid-70's down to 23' thermocline, then steadily chilling down to upper 50's at depth (50-55'). That's about normal give or take a few degrees.

I can get actual readings for you this weekend, but I don't think temp gauges are very precise.
I was more concerned with the visibility, the temps will be a wonderful break from the heat. I guess I'll check out the viz Sunday. Scot

Like Ken said, you're not butting in. Welcome!

Last fri. vis. was 10-15 or so, with my guesstimate. Looked like it took a bit for Des' reflection on his tank to disappear. I'm not gonna make it this weekend (dang honey does). Hope to get with ya sometime later.

Oops. Vis is usually real good in the shallows along the West bank. I'd guess about 20'. It gets worse as you get deeper or head South.

What are ya driving? Truckdiver (probably) and I will be out there tomorrow. I'm in a silver Malibu with a Texas dive sticker on the back. Both of my tanks are yellow. He's got a red SUV and a tank painted like a Lifesaver pack. We're usually by the Northern wooden dock on the West side.

Texass:
Oops. Vis is usually real good in the shallows along the West bank. I'd guess about 20'. It gets worse as you get deeper or head South.

What are ya driving? Truckdiver (probably) and I will be out there tomorrow. I'm in a silver Malibu with a Texas dive sticker on the back. Both of my tanks are yellow. He's got a red SUV and a tank painted like a Lifesaver pack. We're usually by the Northern wooden dock on the West side.
We'll be in a gray Chev Siverado with a pair of 8's in the back glass, (wife is a dale jr fan). This will be our first trip to CSSP so I have no idea where we'll wind up. Thanks again guys.
Scot

If you're coming west on I-20 (which I presume you are), you need to look for the 501 exit in front of Tanger Outlet Mall in Terrell. Exit 501 and head north on Hwy 34, which will turn into Virginia Street as you head into downtown Terrell. Turn right at Hwy 80 and proceed about a mile or so until you reach an Exxon station at the outskirts of town. Turn left at the station and follow the road exactly 7 miles, where you will see a dive flag sign that will show you where to turn off. Follow the dirt road about 3/4 of a mile and the gate will be on your left (it's a steel gate that is painted like a dive flag). You'll need to check in at the office and pay your $20, then turn left and follow the gravel road to the north docks. Des (Texass) should be waiting for you. :)

If my temp gauge is accurate, which is questionable, yesterday's temps were way warmer. Down to 22' = 81 degrees; down to 35' = mid 70's and with my wrist touching the bottom of the silo at 55' = 66 degrees. (one of the guys involved with dredging the silo swears there is a spot that is 58'. He & a bud of his also claim the ground moves up and down depending on the spring flow. Sounds hokey to me, but I have no knowledge about such things.)

In case I haven't mentioned it enough, I DO NOT trust dive computer temp gauges. So, above the thermocline is pretty darn warm. There were lots of students in shorties. Just below the 'cline was noticeably chilly, but comfortable in my 5mm. Below 45' was OK except my face and hands got chilled after about 10 minutes. I was wearing ski gloves, not neoprene dive gloves.

The vis averaged around 10 - 15'. In the shallows it was easily in the 20' range.

When it gets chilly below the thermocline, I just stop and think about how hot and miserable I would be if I were up on the shore at that time. Kinda takes the chill off a bit...LOL :biggrin2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom