cssp vis and fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i was talking to a guy i work with last nite and he had some pics that were taken out at cssp a couple of weeks ago and the water was extremely green. and he was sayin they had a big fish hunt so now there is hardky any left is that why the water was so green. and why would they do that

Awww dang...I missed another fish fry....

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see....

Pics always look green there, someone was....

Is one of your legs longer than the other after that conversation? :D :D :D

The water was green due to it being over 80*F at the surface and the algae that grows there.

Fish hunt????? I wouldn't be suprised if the lake became grossly over populated, but I kinda doubt it.

TwoBit

Supposedly, someone did do a little spearfishing in there not long ago and culled the numbers a bit -- but that's not way the water is green.

I heard from my dive shop that there indeed was some fishin' going on last week to thin out the Pirhana Perch. When I was there Sunday there were still plenty of the little guys lurking around, as well as Bass and Catfish. I even saw the elusive albino Catfish swimming around Cisco! There were also thousands of little baby fish swarming around Cisco too. Very cool to hover amongst them! No worries, there is no shortage of fish at CSSP.

I don't think that will ever be a problem at CSSP.....LOL :laughing:

The last time I was at CSSP, it did seem as if there were fewer fish. We heard that there had been a big spearfishing party out there, took about 100 fish, but I this is pure hearsay. However, I also saw a sickening sight- a perch had a big hole in the top of it's back where the spear had either nicked him only or went all the way through. I didn't realize they thinned them out that way, I guess they had their reasons but it made me sad to see that poor fish like that.

Foo

I was out at CSSP camping during the week and Robert have about six or so Divemasters and Instructors come out and spearfish the perch. I saw the cooler and there were about 100 or so taken. Robert fried a few up and they were very tasty. the only fish that were taken were the perch. The thought behind this was the agressiveness of the perch and it worked. Trust me. I dove after the spears were out of the water and the perch swam away from me when they saw me. No more blood from my ears.

Yeah, like I said, I know they had their reasons, I'm sure they wouldn't do anything that wasn't in the best interest of the park and it's patrons. It was just that one fish was kind of shocking, too bad it got hit like that. I couldn't figure out what had happened to him until we ascended and were talking about the dive, and that fish became the discussion. It was then that I found out about the fishing party.

Foo

Foo:
The last time I was at CSSP, it did seem as if there were fewer fish. We heard that there had been a big spearfishing party out there, took about 100 fish, but I this is pure hearsay. However, I also saw a sickening sight- a perch had a big hole in the top of it's back where the spear had either nicked him only or went all the way through. I didn't realize they thinned them out that way, I guess they had their reasons but it made me sad to see that poor fish like that.

Foo

They must have let Yankees in that blasted that fish we saw. Can you even Imagine a Texan missin' a fish out there wiffa' speargun like that and leavin' him fer folks to see ???... Shamefull !!
Some say that fish do not feel pain and that one seemed to be doing just fine.
We did try to hunt him/her down and give it a medal and introduce it to Moonie but it took off... ( not a totally dumb fish huh ?)

Cruel is cruel and is not cool. It can go a bit too far though.
I know some Peace Nazis that tell me that they can hear vegitables scream when they bite into them. I tell them to "stay away from the Brown Acid".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom