CSSP Bouyancy and Navigation Couse Updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finished the gates for the course about two months ago. On my last trip to CSSP I took them with me and showed them to Robert and Debbie (the owners). I also got them out of the garage that way.

After discussions about problems that Athens scuba park has had about people moving things I decided to change my anchor construction to a small scrap tire filled with quickcrete and an eye bolt for an attachment point. Mike was kind enough to provide the tires and help in making the anchors.

5 anchors later each one close to about 100lbs with one comming in about 160lbs (2 80lb bags of concrete) we now realize that moving these things underwater is going to be work.

Soon Mike and I will survey the area where we are going to sink the course, make 6 more anchors and set it all up. From that point it will be a bouyancy course and navigation course designed, built and donated by NDI-Texas Swamp Diving Team.

Tom

Hey Tom!

Lest we forget Archimedes' Principle, and my recollection of the volumn of a bag of sac-crete, the sheer bulk is the biggest problem. (That of course after loadin' em in and out of the truck and gettin' em in the water!) Be back safe guys!

Will be glad to explain to the Mrs. I have to go help if ya' want some assistance.

Just courious, you make the gates out of PVC pipe?

tony

Archimedes principle is dispalcement right...

The anchors are made. They are taking up space in my driveway curing.

The gates are PVC squares that will be turned on a diamond. The nav course all the gates are the same size. In the bouyancy course the gates gradually decrease in size.

Tom

Tom,

We might want to determine the weight of the anchors and mark them so when we get around to moving them from place to place, we got an idea of how much mass we're moving.

Also, if the eye bolts don't work, we can always use a length of that PVC that goes completely through the concrete and then thread the anchor line through the resulting hole.

Tony,

It's my desire to have a detailed planning session with the owners of CSSP on how Tom and I are going to place these anchors so we can ensure that this is done safely. If you have any thoughts on what details we should include in our planning, by all means share them.

I've already got on my list adequate lift bags, good surface support (in a boat), and include a 3rd diver who is rescue trained.

Hey Tom and TM,

Using the boat to hoist the anchors just above the bottom will allow the divers to push the anchor(staying above the anchor) to the location. Using a hoist line the boat crew can slowly lower the anchor upon a signal from a separate line. (As much as we love to use our bags, this is a lot safer)

I can bring a Total Station/ EDM and prism if you want to map the course to the Degree/Minute/Second and Feet/Inches. We can just shoot floats above the proposed or actual locations. I spent several years as a surveyor/ engineer prior to making superintendent, so calculations won't be a problem. Let me know when, and if you want my help. I'm free most every weekend except sometime in March I'll be doing my water work for NAUI MasterDiver.

Interesting thought on the first point, but its still not as much fun. It sure would save on air.

I don't think we need to get that precise on our measurements for the nav course. We will set the course with floats first so we are as accurate as we need to be.

Thanks

Tom

Looks like you da man....

the boat idea is a good one. And using your surveying tools might come in handy.

Its a long drive from Austin, but If you need help, just give a little warning, and I will do my best.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom