CSSP Ad Hoc Report -- May 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure that's what happened to it? I heard Frank was looking to upgrade that hydration device he's been working on. Thought maybe...

I can assure you, if timeliner had stolen that pipe, he would be building Potato Gun 2K8 with it.

I'm for running a line. What's one more?

texdiveguy--

Did you go all the way to the platform? What was the temp?

Last week my reading at 34 feet was 63. Wondered if the deep platform was much colder, I didn't have a chance to make it over there.

texdiveguy--

Did you go all the way to the platform? What was the temp?

Last week my reading at 34 feet was 63. Wondered if the deep platform was much colder, I didn't have a chance to make it over there.

I dropped down into the silo.....very bottom was 60ffw/57F. ok vis...no light needed.

I've always wanted to post "street signs" at CSSP. For example, " <--Cabin Cruiser: bearing 128degrees", "Plane: bearing 47 degrees--> ", etc... Of course, not without Robert's permission and blessing. But it would be fun for simple nav work.

I like the sign idea rather than ropes. I'm starting to have a "thing" about ropes used as nav devices. I've got this cool thing mounted on my console. It has a needle that points to the north. :D

Seriously though, we were discussing this over the weekend talking about Lake Murray. There is a spot there with at least 4 criss-crossing lines at various heights going in 4 different directions. I'm not very fond of criss-crossing lines in low viz.

Nice trip report. I'm thinking that dog wouldn't have made it if it would have been me. That wouldn't have been pretty.I don't think my brakes are good enough on the ol' Scuba Van.

Upon consideration, I am all for the street signs. I think that is a better idea than the ropes. In fact, I don't think we were talking about stringing ropes everywhere. I think we were just talking about running one rope from, what do we say, 30 ffw "down the wall" to the silo.

In the larger picture of street signs, I would propose placing no more than 4 to 6 "street signs" in the park. I believe any larger number of street signs would simply clutter up the water. Besides, we must still be considerate of some of the goals of scuba diving. For instance, if there are street signs posted everywhere, then where would the challenge be in underwater navigation? So I don't necessarily want to post street signs everywhere; but posting between 4 and 6 signs at certain strategic locations is kind of a cool idea.

Might I suggest that we discuss some standard convention for placing street signs? I would suggest that all street signs be placed at a depth of 30 ffw or be placed 5 ft off the bottom, whichever depth is the shallower. Such a standard would allow divers to know exactly where to be in the water column when searching for a street sign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom