CSSP - 7/28 & 7/29 anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texarkandy

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Swamp Divers,

Me and my JOW daughter (12 y/o) are recent PADI certs & have only one "real" dive under our belts since getting our C-Cards (Destin, Fl Jetty Dive - it was a blast!). (That's not counting a few tanks of air burned in our home swimming pool of course :)

We are hoping to make it to CSSP on Sat/Sun 7/28 & 29 and it would be nice if we could meet up with some folks who know the park a little, give us some tips, and maybe join up with us for a dive two - we are planning on just having some relaxing 20 to 30 ft "experience" dives.

It would be really nice to meet up with another parent/JOW team who has a little more experience than we do.

My daughter is a little nervous about diving low-vis, anybody know how early the training classes get the vis all stirred up?

Just walked back in the door from CSSP today. The visibility was great (roughly 20' to 30'). The diving was really easy, and the other good thing is that CSSP is big enough to accomodate a lot of people. Just try to stay away from the platforms, and you'll have no real problems with the vis out there.

Dang Andy!

It'a a long haul to Clear Springs, seems you'd be heading over to Degray or even Ouachita. There's a nice lake south of Marshal if you have a boat to dive from. We're working a lot of hours right now, but when it slows down a bit, maybe we can get together for an outing. We're south of T-town about 40 minutes.

tony

Clear Springs not really a "long haul" for us since we go to DFW area one/two weekends a month anyway (family).

DeGray is pretty deep & fairly cold below the thermocline I'm told - I'm not comfortable going over there just us two noobs with no more experience than we have. I'd hate to have a bouyancy mishap & inadvertantly end up at 80ft (or more, yikes!!) in the dark cold with no more dives under our belts than we currently have.
That could be asking for trouble.

I am planning/hoping on at least one DeGray trip in August (if not two) though - have met one local diver here with experience on Degray who has expressed interest in going over there with us. We both have boats. Will probably find a nice cove or two to dive (I'm thinking of one in particular I snorkeled in a couple years ago, if I can find it again)

For now since we are "just getting our feet wet" so to speak, I'm a little more comfortable doing a trip to CSSP right now where I know how far down the bottom is & it's somewhat comforting to know there will be quite a few other folks nearby. I'd like us both to get a lot of bouyancy experience and familiarity with our proper weighting in this weekend (as well as just have some fun diving)

What lake is there south of Marshall good for diving?

The gates officially open at 8:00am, usually a few minutes earlier if people are already waiting. Those coming in for the day are usually in the water by 9:00 or so. Those that camped out could be in the water anytime.

I'll be there next weekend with a rescue class, but we'll be on the north end away from everyone else.

Andy

I know I'll be out there by 8am on Saturday morning with at least one and maybe more other folks. I think my buddy is bringing his new camera so we hopefully will be going nice and slow. We should be half-way down the lake on the left hand side early Saturday morning.

We're hoping to make CSSP this Sat & I was doing a little research here on the SB & found a thread about...... BITING FISH!!!???? =:0

We don't have hoods, beanies, or gloves. Is this something we need to worrry about?

I don't think we will be able to procure any before our trip either. Any suggestions? could we were do-rags maybe?

As long as your do-rags cover your ears you are safe. I would try to get a beanie though if I were you. Your ears will thank you for it.

Foo2

As long as you don't wiggle your fingers around at the catfish and perchana like worms, you should be fine. Buaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa!

Foo2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom