Crystal River snorkel/dive operator recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're going to Crystal River on Fri. afternoon Aug. 25. I'd like to go night diving that night. The next morning my wife and 2 friends will join me in a manatee snorkel/dive combo at Crystal River: manatee snorkeling first, then King's Bay snorkelers on top and diver at bottom.

Many ops offer manatee snorkeling only tours, but I've found two shops that offer snorkel/dive combos (and night diving Aug. 25):

American Pro $30/snorkeler and $40/diver
Adventure $19/p unguided; a guide is $35 for up to 2 divers or $60/family per 1/2 day

Many ops also offer afternoon Rainbow River snorkel/dive tours (which we'll go in the afternoon), including these two ops. ($30/p and $35/p respectively).

Some posters had indicated they've used American Pro and found it good. I'd appreciate hearing more comments on these two shops (especially on Adventure), or any other possibilities. Thanks.

i did American Pro. they're into large groups.

i prefer Bird's Underwater. smaller, better led groups.

I've done American Pro twice now. Enjoyed it both times.

Joe

I know Bird (Birds Underwater)...great guy, nice folks - strongly recommend. Also, have heard good things about American Pro.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately Birds only do the snorkel/dive combo tours in the winter, not in the summer.

How large did the group with American Pro get? Anyone had experience with Adventure?

There're also cheaper unguided tours with Crystal River Lodge for manatee snorkeling and Rainbow River. They don't do Crystal River diving and suggested I rent a boat to go diving myself. But going to an unfamiliar area I'm looking for guided tours.

Thanks.

i think there were about 20 of us in the American Pro group... it was a bit unwieldy,
to say the least

I used American Pro last Feb, and I think there was about 12 on the boat for te snorkel/dive trip, but only 6 divers. So while there were a fair number of snorkelers, the dive at King's Springs wasn't too bad. The biggest problem I saw, was not the size of the group I was in, but the fact that there were 3 or 4 other boats in the same areas at the same time. So it got crowded, but I'd still recommend American Pro.

I used them for another trip a cople of days alter - Blue Grotto and Devil's Den, and that trip turned out to be the Dive Master, another couple and me. Very nice, especially at Blue Grotto, since we werer the only ones diving at the time we were there.

Torontonian:
There're also cheaper unguided tours with Crystal River Lodge for manatee snorkeling and Rainbow River. They don't do Crystal River diving and suggested I rent a boat to go diving myself. But going to an unfamiliar area I'm looking for guided tours.

Thanks.
This is how my wife and I did it. They rent jon boats for $15 +/- per hour depending on size of the boat. Crystal River is a relatively small area and it is pretty hard to get lost. I wouldn't worry about not knowing the area. They give you a map with the landmarks you'll need to know to negotiate your way around. That way you can go where you want and stay as long as you care.

Same with Rainbow River. Rent a canoe and dive flag there, paddle upstream to where you can't go any farther and jump in. Real easy.

We did the manatee snorkel with Americn Pro Dive and it was way too crowded. It was OK, but not great. We dove the river with them and it wasn't as crowded and was pretty good. The river is a fun dive. We saw some large schools of gar.

We did a manatee snorkel with Crystal River Lodge and it was GREAT! We saw several mantees, including a mother and calf, and we also saw a lot more tropical fish than we thought we would. And, it was way cheaper than Americn Pro. I highly recommend them - ask for Captain Andy if you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom