Crystal Lake, MI, Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loganhand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Crystal Lake, the largest lake of this name in Michigan, is located near Lake Michigan in Benzie County about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Traverse City and about 2 miles (3 km) northeast of Frankfort at 44°39′N 86°09′W. It measures approximately 2.5 by 8 miles (4 by 13 km), and has a maximum depth of 165 feet (50 m). At 9,854 acres (40 km2), it is Michigan's ninth largest inland lake. Up to and through the Civil War years Crystal Lake was known as "Cap Lake" due to the frequent whitecaps visible on its surface. Crystal Lake is adjacent to the southern reaches of the Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Crystal Lake is surrounded by sandy beaches due to an attempt in 1873 to connect Crystal Lake and Lake Michigan via a channel. *

The lake level of Crystal Lake was higher than the level of Lake Michigan and when the channel was open, the water level in Crystal Lake dropped. Although the project was a failure, the lowering of the lake level uncovered sandy beaches, including the current public beach at Beulah.*

The watershed that feeds Crystal Lake is very small, and fertilizer and sewage outflows are minimal, leading to the exceptionally clear and beautiful water that gives it its current name. The surface area of the lake is 35% of the total area of the watershed (land and water combined)." *

Any information on about the diving here would be great. I have heard about people diving in crystal lake, but I've never gotten a good rundown. I go here in the summer to visit family, so I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the diving is like, and/or the nearest place that has a compressor?

Thank You.

Here is Crystal Lake on Google maps: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...e&gl=us&ei=AygRUtCSOcmwyQHJuIBQ&ved=0CL4BELYD

* Information on the geography of crystal lake provided by:
174px-Wikipedia_wordmark.svg.png

Back
Top Bottom