Crystal Bay claims another victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blobfish

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
News coming in that another diver has died at Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida today. Our thoughts go out to the family.

Any news on what happened? Was it due to an inexperienced diver facing downcurrents? Or deco diving to 60m to follow Mola or the excess boat traffic? or unscrupulous an non safe dive op? Im glad I dived with World Diving, the DMs there were top class and safety was paramount. I cant believe the amount of bunny divers I saw getting tumbled my currents and lost divers when floating alone out to sea. If you are a novice diver and planning to dive there please note this site can be v. dangerous. If you dont know how to deploy a dsmb or not diving with one, you are inviting trouble. If this is another victim, when was the last victim there?

this is what was said on another forum

Details are still sketchy, currents were bad on entry, divers were told to stay close to their guides, not go deeper than guides, and warned about downcurrents and how to manage them.

Dive went well, 4 dive guests, 1 dive guide, normal 4: 1 ratio for Indonesia. Diver in question went deeper than guide, didn't ascent when told too, was too busy taking photos, got swept away from the coral face in a down current, down to 60 metres. Dive guide could not get to him, he was swept away. The other guests surfaced with the guide, the boat searched for him on the surface but another diver from another company found him on the bottom, already dead. No details yet about the diver, except he was about 50 years old and from France.

Back
Top Bottom