Cryptosporidiosis Recent Outbreaks CDC Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
From the CDC website:

"Cryptosporidiosis (Cryptosporidium Infection)

Cryptosporidiosis is a diarrheal disease caused by microscopic parasites of the genus Cryptosporidium. Both the disease and the parasite are commonly known as "Crypto." Many species of Cryptosporidium exist that infect humans and a wide range of animals. The parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time and makes it very resistant to chlorine disinfection.
While this parasite can be transmitted in several different ways, water is a common method of transmission and Cryptosporidium is one of the most frequent causes of waterborne disease (drinking water and recreational water) among humans in the United States. "

Troy and I have been talking about this and the news reports over the last few days. Troy is in the water treatment industry and Cryptosporidium is resistant to chlorination. A lot of cities are syaing they are closing their pools and hypercholrinating their water but that is not enough. They have to use a filter to get it out. Yes it will keep the crypto in smaller numbers but it is not gone completely. They must filter their water also. Even the CDC website talks about filtration and how you have to change the filter media where appropiate.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/pdf/Hyperchlorination_to_kill_Cryptosporidium.pdf

I would not say Burger's Swimming lake is 100% safe. It's probably better than before, but not 100%. IMHO.

You know I have lived here in the Arlington area since 1975 and have never even visited Burgers Lake rec area....it does look like a fun spot for families and all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom